Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All .exe's have become .lnk's

• Please log in to reply

WilliamDHester

WilliamDHester

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've looked through all of the posts relating to my question, but my case is more extreme than any of theirs (At least I think so).

For a summary of my problem, check out this thread.

http://www.geekstogo...les-t47277.html

Unfortunately for me, I can't run regedit. Or system restore. I can run a few programs, most notable firefox and the MS Office suite. Unfortunately, there is nothing there that can help me.

I can't run .reg files. Nor .exe files. I can't ctrl+alt+delete and start a new program. When I pick a program to open the .lnk files with I get the same message that I started with.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I've been trying to fix this for the past 4 hours and I'm very tired. Any input will be appreciated and I will clear up any questions you guys have when I'm more awake.

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Have you tried Post#6 in that thread, the one with command.com

WilliamDHester

WilliamDHester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, I get the same message that I get for everything else.

"Windows needs to know what created this file...."

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
It sounds like your file associations have gotten mixed up. Have you had a look at MS?
http://support.micro...9&product=winxp

Do you have your XP cd?

Johanna

WilliamDHester

WilliamDHester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't think my file extensions got mixed up... I think it's something more than that.

I can get my hands on a copy of the XP CD I used to install, but, as I was told "It's a very rare beta version that doesn't contact microsoft." Would that help me any?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that "very rare beta version" should be read as "a pirated version that is illegally hacked"....check your file extensions as johanna suggested.

WilliamDHester

WilliamDHester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I really was told that it was a beta version, I'm not computer savvy enough to steal software.

What program would I tell XP to open .exe files with?

WilliamDHester

WilliamDHester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Please guys... I need help. I move to college on Wednesday and I NEED my computer -.-.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you try what johanna suggested?

WilliamDHester

WilliamDHester

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I *can't* do what Johanna suggested. I honestly don't see how that relates to my problem. What should I pick when the "Open with" menu comes up to open say, World of Warcraft? Even if I did know what program, when I selected it I would get the "Windows needs to know what created this file" menu.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alrighty then....do run > regedit > then click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > look for .exe...open that selection and tell me what you see

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Take one file that should be an "exe" and right click. Select "rename". Type in the ".exe" extension. Close Windows Explorer, reopen it and try to "run" that file. If it works, you are in business! If it doesn't, you need to find a real cd.

Johanna

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Take one file that should be an "exe" and right click. Select "rename". Type in the ".exe" extension. Close Windows Explorer, reopen it and try to "run" that file. If it works, you are in business! If it doesn't, you need to find a real cd.

Johanna