Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton internet security

• Please log in to reply

wills

wills

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello there.
When i bourght my new computer i installed norton internet security and all the components, then it worked fine for about two weeks and did every thing that it should, But then it came up saying that it had expired and i might have to re-install it so i did and when it came round to putting my product key in i did to activate it, so i put the numbers in the boxes and every time in freezes and doesnt go to the next step. WHY IS THIS?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You need to take this up with Symantec

Most things with Norton are cleared by removing it and re-installing but this is unlikely to work here as NIS thinks there is something wrong with the product key

wills

wills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well i put in the right key! it wouldnt have anything to do with the face that the keys had already been activated about 2 weeks ago?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can look at these

http://service1.syma...5&osv=&osv_lvl=

http://service1.syma...nis&svy=&csm=no

http://service1.syma...nis&svy=&csm=no

wills

wills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
they dont work! i hate norton there CRAP!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which bit didn't work

Ask Symantec, they may give you a serial number which works

wills

wills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
those 3 websites dont work. i cant get though to them i think that there websites are down! im on the phone to them now but there about as useful as a chocolate tea pot!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Reinstalling your Symantec program after a failed installation or after you see error messages

Situation:
This document describes how to reinstall your Symantec program after you have removed the program from your computer because there was a problem with the original installation.

Solution:
Find your version of Windows in the list below, and follow the instructions.

Click the icon to the left of each section to either expand ( ) or collapse ( ) the section. (If you cannot expand a section, then read the document Cannot expand sections in a Symantec Knowledge Base document.)

Windows XP

Windows XP
Do the following procedures in the order listed to reinstall your Symantec product.

Delete all temporary files

Delete all temporary files
Temporary files and folders are created when you install programs and during normal Windows operation. All Symantec products use the temporary folder during the installation process. Too many files in the Windows Temporary folder can cause the installation to fail.
The following steps show you how to delete these files and folders. In most cases, it is safe for you to do this because they are no longer needed. However, if you are not sure, instead of deleting the files and folders when you are instructed, move them to a different folder or to external media, such as a CD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: These steps assume that your computer is using the default Windows temporary folder setting. If you have changed the temporary folder location to C:, then follow the steps in the section "To verify the Temp variable" in the document Deleting Windows temporary files and then continue with these instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To delete temporary files and folders
Exit all programs. If you are reading this on the Web, you may leave your Web browser open.
On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run
Type the following:

%temp%

Click OK. The Temp folder for the currently logged-on user opens in Windows Explorer.
On the Edit menu, click Select All.
Press Delete.
Click Yes if you are asked to confirm the deletion.
Go on to the next section
Install LiveUpdate

Install LiveUpdate
After deleting all temporary files, install LiveUpdate. To install LiveUpdate, read the document How to download the newest version of LiveUpdate, and then return to this document and go on to the next section, "Start the computer with no programs loading on startup."
Start the computer with no programs loading on startup

Start the computer with no programs loading on startup

Note: Starting the computer with no programs loading on startup (clean boot mode) puts the computer into a diagnostic mode of Windows. This may cause your display to appear differently then what you are used to. After the reinstall is complete, follow the steps in the section "To restore Windows to Normal mode" to return the computer to Normal mode.

To start the computer with no programs loading on startup
Click Start > Run.
In the Open box, type msconfig and click OK.
Click Selective Startup.
Under Selective Startup, uncheck all entries except the following:
Load System Services
Use Original BOOT.INI

Click Apply > OK.
When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.
Go on to the next section.
Reinstall your Symantec program

Reinstall your Symantec program
Once the computer has restarted, reinstall your Symantec program. To reinstall the program, follow the instructions in the section that applies to your Symantec product and version.
Norton AntiVirus as a stand-alone product

Norton AntiVirus as a stand-alone product
Norton AntiVirus can be installed from the installation CD or as a download from the Internet. Read the document that applies to your version of Norton AntiVirus and your situation for detailed instructions.

Norton AntiVirus 2005
Installing Norton AntiVirus 2005 from the CD
Installing Norton AntiVirus 2005 that was downloaded from the Symantec Store
Norton AntiVirus 2004
Installing Norton AntiVirus 2004 or Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional from the CD
How to install Norton AntiVirus or Norton AntiVirus Professional Edition 2004 downloaded from the Symantec Store
Norton AntiVirus 2003
How to install Norton AntiVirus 2003 or Norton AntiVirus Professional Edition 2003 from the CD
How to install a copy of Norton AntiVirus or Norton AntiVirus Professional Edition 2003 that was downloaded from the Symantec Store Web site

If Norton AntiVirus came preinstalled on your computer, then the installation files might be located on the Restore CD supplied by your computer manufacturer. If you are unsure of the location of the installation files, then contact your computer manufacturer for help.

After Norton AntiVirus has been successfully installed, follow the steps in the section "To restore Windows XP to Normal mode" to restart the computer in Normal mode.
Norton Internet Security

Norton Internet Security
Norton Internet Security can be installed from the installation CD or as a download from the Internet. Read the document that applies to your version of Norton Internet Security and your situation for detailed instructions.
Norton Internet Security 2005:
Installing Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2005 from the CD
Installing Norton Internet Security 2005 that was downloaded from the Symantec Store
Norton Internet Security 2003/2004
Installing Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2004
Installing Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2001/2002/2003
How to install the copy of Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall purchased and downloaded online

If Norton Internet Security came preinstalled on your computer, then the installation files might be located on the Restore CD supplied by your computer manufacturer. If you are unsure of the location of the installation files, then contact your computer manufacturer for help.

After Norton Internet Security has been successfully installed, follow the steps in the section "To restore Windows XP to Normal mode" to restart the computer in Normal mode.
Norton SystemWorks

Norton SystemWorks
Read the document Installing Norton SystemWorks 2005 or How to install Norton SystemWorks 2002, 2003, and 2004 for detailed instructions on how to reinstall Norton SystemWorks.

After Norton SystemWorks has been successfully installed, follow the steps in the section "To restore Windows XP to Normal mode" to restart the computer in Normal mode.

Restore Windows XP to Normal mode

Restore Windows XP to Normal mode
After your Symantec program has been successfully installed, follow these steps to restore your computer to Normal mode.

To restore Windows XP to Normal mode
On the Windows desktop, click Start > Run.
In the Open box, type msconfig and click OK.
Click Normal Startup.

Click OK.
When you are prompted to restart the system, click Yes. Windows will restart normally with all drivers, programs, and your regular video settings.

wills

wills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
umm what?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's what symantec say about re-installing if the first go does not work

wills

wills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
alright well, i cant be asked with my norton thing, Can you recomend any other good virus protection programs?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
AVG is a popular choice

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/

wills

wills

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
cool just installed it, its all free yeah?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes

You can get a firewall here

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

Anti-spyware programmes here, 1,2,4,5,6 are the main ones

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/