Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GeForce 6600 GT - White Lines

• Please log in to reply

ethan_janss

ethan_janss

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey! I noticed this site is very good in helping people, and i've read most of the forums, but my problem doesn't seem to be solved yet:

My pc is the following:

MOBO = A7N8X-X --> Asus
Graphic Card = GeForce 6600 GT (128)
I've Got 1024 RAM

My problem lies in the Graphic Card, simalar problems have occurd with other users namely: white lines when playing games like Countersrike, or Warcraft 3:Frozen Throne, or World Of Warcraft.

I've installed all drivers, and i have to stick with the older drivers who allow me to play Video's, since i need that for Video-Editing (My Job). Now... Power Supply = 200 Watt for the Video-Card alone so that should do it no?

if any of you have advice, i'd appreciate it, cause i've returned my Card to the shop, they gave me another one, still having the problem!

Here's the tricky part: when I play CS for xample, i can go to windows, then return to the game and the white stripes are solved for like 2 minutes or so, then they return. It's awfull, and makes game-playing or video-editing impossible. I don't wanna go back to my FX 5200 cuz that's only 1 pipeline (DDR) while Geforce 6600 GT has DDR (3 pipelines) and really, the difference is shocking...

anyhow, does anyone has more suggestions for the White Lines?

the follwing doesn't work:
*More Power Supply
*Newer Driver Installation
:tazz:

Advertisements

Metron

Metron

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have this VERY SAME Problem, but I only play World of Warcraft, so I'm not sure if it's effecting anything else. I'm about to format and reload my Windows XP if this keeps up.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Your problem (very simply) is overheating. Your card is burning up.

I rule out software issues because you say it works fine if you Alt-Tab out for a while and then come back in and it solves the problem temporarily. Artifacts (i.e. random unexpected lines or graphic spikes) are most commonly caused by overheating. The next common cause of artifacts is incompatible drivers.

What driver are you using? and what company made your video card? (please tell me it's not a Chaintech...)

Edited by UV_Power, 27 August 2005 - 10:36 PM.

Metron

Metron

• Pip
  • 3 posts

What driver are you using? and what company made your video card?  (please tell me it's not a Chaintech...)

View Post

For myself, I'm currently using the 71.89 Nvidia drivers, but I've had the same problem using the 77.77 drivers (and I won't ever touch the 77.72 drivers again), and the 71.84 Drivers.

My videocard is the Asus Nvidia GeForce 6600 with 256mb ddr AGP 8x (aka N6600). It does have a SmartCooling (Dynamic fan speed controller) and SmartDoctor (Detects Temp., fan speed & bus voltage) which I didn't load up yet, so I'll try doing that and see what it tells me.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
May also be your power supplies, get rivatuner it has a temperature monitoring feature for gfx cards so use that to determine if it is a temp problem. For the PSU post up your pc specs and the wattage and/or brand of your PSU can be found on a sticker located on the psu itself.

ethan_janss

ethan_janss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
overheating.. the video-card comes with build-on cooler so i dont quite see the problem there.. nd as for drivers, i've tried at least 6, the one on my installation-cd, the earliest one on the net, the 2 newest ones on the net and one from a friend called: "gaming driver for Geforce 6600" and the 77.77 (crap!) well yes..

really dont know lol, it's just plain stupid, i'm thinking about buying a ATI instead of Nvidea-crap.. really dissapointed in Nvidea.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
hmmmm.

Not overheating, used all drivers, must be the PSU connection. If you can, try to use a different 4-pin connector to your video card and see if that makes a difference.

Also, what wattage is coming through the +12V rail?

Edited by UV_Power, 28 August 2005 - 10:05 AM.

ethan_janss

ethan_janss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yea well, i've taken a different nurrishment-box for my video card, a seperent one, since someone told me the problem might be @ the power supply, so i added a different power box of 250Watt, just for the card alone, thought that should do it... nd the 4-pin... don't quite understand that term lol, my knowlegde consist primarely about software, just know DDRIII is better then DDR since u have 3 pipelines.. but where does the pin-4 fit into ?

Metron

Metron

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, when I have WoW running the GPU is going at about 45C. I don't think overheading is an issue. Also just for laughs I changed out my PSU for a new 400 Watt ATX power supply, but no dice. White lines appeared on the UI, and intermittant flashing white bars in the sky.

SO far I've struck out with the Nvidia 6200 (mpeg video issues), and now the 6600 is give'n me headaches.

Blaaaaah. Maybe I'll just find an older ti4800. At least it worked.

customcomp

customcomp

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
i think it is over heating i have a geforce 6200 ( i no there not the same card ) i mine has a slow down temprature but in stead of slowing down i get white lines. i changed the power supply to a 450 and have not had a problem since.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Sorry about the confusion. When I said 4-pin I was talking about the extra molex connector that was plugged into your video card from the power supply. I was wondering if maybe you swapped that extra connection for another one to see if that would fix the problem...

BTW, Metron. I know you're having this problem as well, but the rules of the forum state not to post your problem in the middle of someone else's post. Both you and ethan will get more responses if you start your own topic. :tazz:

ethan_janss

ethan_janss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:) i have tried the other plug in, without any results.

the only reason i'm thinking off @ which this problem can still occur is because my motherbord isn't up for the GeForce6600 GT 128. It's an A7N8X-X from Asus. It's one of the first in his kind to be able to run Video Cards @ 8xAGP. I haven't seen anyone running the GeForce 6600 with that motherbord yet, they all had a newer MOBO :tazz:

or my Video Card is just not straight (Gay) and doesn't want to make love with my Motherboard :)

Greetz, Ethan

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

my Video Card is just not straight (Gay) and doesn't want to make love with my Motherboard

uhhhh...... :tazz: