Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating/upgrading options - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

NCWaterfowler

NCWaterfowler

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Compaq Evo D300s Convertible Mini Tower
Windows 2k Pro
Pentium P4 1.5mhz
Compaq Motherboard (252608-001)
P4 Socket 478
3 SDRAM PC133 (768k currently w/ 3 gig max)
400 mHz front side bus
18 gig HD w/ ~5 gig free
ATI 9800Pro (due here today)

I'd love to buy a new computer, but don't have $2k+ to put towards what I'd like to buy. I probably will end up replacing my current computer within 24 months, but just trying to squeeze a little more out of her until my budget expands. So, I'm looking at upgrading what I have and have a few questions and would love input and opinions. I primarily use my computer for surfing, digital photography, music and gaming. Ideally, I'd like to make the easiest upgrade that will provide me with increased performance while not costing much...go figure. I don't really know what my budget is for this, just kicking tires. I'd like to think I could pull it off for $200...? :tazz:

1- Is it feasible to simply upgrade just the CPU? If so, is HT an option? What CPU would you recommend?

2- If I'm going to replace the CPU should I upgrade the board too and buy a combo? What brand/combo would you recommend?

If there is any additional system info folks need, I'm happy to provide and if I am overlooking a consideration or concern, thanks in advance for pointing it out.

Edited by NCWaterfowler, 22 August 2005 - 08:31 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont know where to start everything needs upgraded, A new motherboard, cpu, ram and HD wouldnt go amiss you could probably manage it all for 500 bucks if you are careful you have a new gfx card which is often the most expensive part to buy.