Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some file server help...

• Please log in to reply

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Im using win 2003 as my sever os, im using it at my house, im pretty new to servers.
everyone in the house has their documents in their own share on the server, and i have the my documents on each computer to target that share.
anyway, im wondering, is there a way i can allow them to create viewable shares (so when they go to network nieghborhood from somewhere else) in their My Documents? cause there is no shareing from thier computer in the My Documents since they are being pulled from a share on the server (is this making sense?) anyways, if i need to give more details, let me know, and thanks for any tips.
-the ditchmagnet

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so basically you want them to be able to make a folder inside of their "mydocuments" folder on the server...that everyone else would be able to see? this would only be accomplished by making that entire folder viewable....because permissions are inheireted from the top down....so basically...if you wanted to share the last folder in the tree you would either have to only share that folder.......or share the top folder.. but if you shared the top folder all folders down the line would becomve visible...not neccessarily accessable...but visible

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
but all the files would be accesable. since permissions has to be set to at least "read" on the group "everyone" although i can give a certain user more than just read. if i say that everyone cant read, then nobody can get to the folders. and although it is just the home network here, and security aint a prob, still, i want to try to practice some security so i can learn.
but ok, so basically, i cant do what i want to do unless the information is copied to a local disk and THEN shared...well, that kinda defeats the purpose of haveing a server..
-the ditchmagnet

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no not neccessarily......what you can do is give everyone read rights to the main users folder (such as if we had this network here there would be two folders dsenette and ditchmagnet.) but allow the individual users to set the permissions on the folders within that folder....so if i had 2 folders under the dsenette folder...one called heyditchmagnetlookatthis and one called youopenmeandyoudie, i would set permissions on heyditchmagnetlookatthis for you to be able to read it...or modify it..if i so chose...and i would lock you out of the other folder

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
but on the same note if there were something in youopenmeandyoudie and i wanted you to see it...i couldn't because you can't get into the main youopenmeandyoudie folder to be able to see that you have permissions to read the folder.....does that make sense?

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ya, that makes sense...
i dont want people to be able to go randomly through everyones documents, but the only way to do that is to go through each folder in each users documents folder and select what folders certain users have read on, and what users dont have read on? well im not going to do that of course...
do i have any other options? any options that would be reasonable?

Also, i would have to go make everyones documets folder unhidden so that folders inside would be visible..and thats another thing i dont want todo...

-the ditchmagnet

Edited by ditchmagnet, 22 August 2005 - 03:32 PM.

ditchmagnet

ditchmagnet

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hmm..i think ive thought of a soulution. using a shared folder on each users computer, and have them copy what they want shared into there, (my pictures folder, my music folder)...since this way, all the documents would still be on the server so they can be backed up and all that...and each user can choose what to share. most of the documets would not be shared this way, and there is extra space on each drive since all the documents would still be on the server.

another option: just create a shortcut to everyones documents on every computer...well, then whats the point of makeing the documents hidden in the first place, and this would also give any user anywhere untristriced access to any document in any users folder. i want to eventually do somthing along the lines of network admin when im done with school.
what would be the smart thing to do? (i already know what i want to do, that second option is my ma's ideas, LOL)
-the ditchmagnet

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..the easiest way is to make one folder on the server public...like "this is the everyone drive" and then just have their personal folders....if they want them to see it they put it in one folder...if they don'....they put it in a different one