Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Simple file transfers...

• Please log in to reply

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
How do I send files from one computer on the network to another?
Computer A, with the files I want to send, is named S0026071466
Computer B, the one I want to send it to, is named WILL

When I go to Network Places>Entire Network>MS Windows Network>Workgroup, the only computer that's on there is Computer A...

Thanks.

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
have you enable file and printer sharing? can you ing each other?

How to enable Windows sharing - Windows file sharing for Macintosh. With AppleTalk network integration, both users of PC and Macintosh users can easily ...
http://www.howtonetw...macsharing1.htm

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Er, neither computer is a mac...
I don't guess I have set up file and printer sharing, how do i do it, and what do you mean by "ing each other"?

Edited by W-Unit, 23 August 2005 - 07:50 PM.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
anyone ...?

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
He meant "PING" each other.

The way to do that is in the command prompt you type in ipconfig on each computer to see the ip addresses. Then using one of the computers you "PING" the other by typing:

ping whatever the address is

Example:
ping 192.168.0.100

I think the standard for a 2 computer LAN is 192.168.0.100
Then the last 3 digits change to 101, 102, 103 and so on. I THINK, is what im saying, not posative. But ehtier way this is how you see if the connection is there.
I see you are using Linux. I know nothing of Linux so I may be completly off. But in "Network Places" look for an "Add a network place" icon and follow the instructions listed.

W-Unit

W-Unit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Yeah, they're networked and the router is set up right and everything. I think I probably just need to do some simple little thing that the idiots at MS hid deep within numerous control panel clicks or something :tazz:
And I use Linux on the laptop which is my main computer, but this is the home computers I'm setting this up for. The laptop is not connected to the network, it has its own separate internet connection.

Edited by W-Unit, 04 September 2005 - 06:57 PM.