Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Does not load

• Please log in to reply

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
This happened to me a long time ago, and I just want to know what really happened. Ok, heres what happened. I've used that hard drive for about more than 2 years and one day, when I opened my computer, I couldn't get in. By that I mean what it looked like from my point of view is that I could only see the background picture I was using for that computer, nothing else, my desktop icons were gone, my taskbar was gone, I couldn't even left click or anything, accept Ctrl Alt Del. It takes like about 1 minute for Task Manager to pop up, and I was able to open a folder if I where to type its location such as C:/Progra~!/ in RUN. (Yes I tried hitting run>explorer.exe and also SAFEMODE gave me that same thing too where only that screen turns black and only says Windows XP). When a window pops out, I tried to opening programs and everything and nothing worked. Finally, since I didn't want to lose my data in that old hard drive, so I bought another new hard drive, installed XP and what not and it seemed to work fine, in fact, I'm using that HD right now. I put that old HD in slave and backed things up. Anyways I formatted that HD so yea it doesn't now. My guess if that maybe that Windows XP was a pirated version and I must of done a microsoft update (in background) and it patched it up. I don't know if it's an pirated version since my brother got it for me and he doesn't know cause his friend installed it for him, and he doesn't want to ask. Anyways, if you know what the problem might have been then please tell me. I'm just curious. Thanks!

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Computers are just stupid some times (mine worse that most).

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
yea much like the BSOD. Anyways I really just want to know what really cause that problem, so if the same problem occurs again, I'll be ready for it lol.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
My answer would you must have had lots of problems that you had not noticed and did not know how to fix, I loost my computer a few times that way. First time it was heeps of problems that built up to not beeing able to boot, I could fix them all now. After formating it was going fine and then after five days it droped dead, unbootable, I know what did it now.

If you wan't to be ready for it (it will be a didferant thing next time, even if I could tell you what it was with out the computer still how it was) You just have to be good with computers, the only way it by experance.

To get experiance you really have to start playing with you computer and leaning about it, and this offen ends up with a computer that dose not work, which means you will have to format or have a back up program (like Norton Ghoast, don't I love that program).

So the bottem line is unless you wan't to go on a learning curve, just ask for help when you need it. :tazz: