Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restore data back

• Please log in to reply

acasiano

acasiano

• Pip
  • 5 posts
We got hit my a thunderstorm, when I got home my laptop no longer wanted to start, I got it to reset and now it work only problem is I have no internet connection
It tells me there is no Network connection, I need to find out what I need to do to restore all my data back.
Thanks
I have a Compaq notebook V800c

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
restore your data back from where? what do y ou mean you got it to reset? did you reinstall? a few more details on the situation please

acasiano

acasiano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer would not start at all, I bought it to work they opened it and reset it, it now starts but I can not go on the internet it tells me
no network connection, I need to restore all my data that was there before the thunderstorm knocked it out.
thanks

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Check device manager to see if network card is operating properly(yellow marks indicate problem)

If there's a problem then right click the device and select update driver and let windows search for a driver for it.

To access device manger...Start/Run type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotes)

acasiano

acasiano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I checked in my device manager and saw no yellow marks, so everything there must be ok

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
What kind of connection do you have?...Are you on a local network with a router?

acasiano

acasiano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Road Runner -local connection

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you say you took it to work and they "reset it" what do you mean? did they use a system restore? did they replace your hard drive? did they reformat and reinstall?

acasiano

acasiano

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I bought it to work they opened the bottom of the laptop and reset my programs, and my programs were restored my internet is the only thing that does not work, also my mouse is coneected but also will not work,
I have been told that maybe my ethernet card was damaged also by the storm
I am having to get a USB cable and try to connect to internet that way.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've never heard of a laptop having a "reset button" or whatever magical device you are saying they used...is there anyway you can get actual information from the people who did this for you? also.....if they "fixed" it....they should have told you about anything they couldn't fix

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Problem could be as easy as just having to renew the ip address. Go to START -> RUN and type in cmd (if you use Windows XP operating system). In the window that appears, type: ipconfig /all Paste in here what it shows. (Since you can't necessary drag and highlight everything in a dos window, Right Click on the Title Bar (which starts with C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe) Mouse over Edit and select 'SELECT ALL'. Repeat this procedure and select 'COPY' this time. Then paste it in a reply here and we will try to help you.

* Edited: Too dang early to catch typos on the first try :tazz: *

Edited by Jarenien, 24 August 2005 - 07:56 AM.