Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE HELP ME!

• Please log in to reply

gena824

gena824

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:(
OK, ALL. I HAVE JUST MOVED TO A UNIVERSITY AND MY COMPUTER DECIDED TO STOP STARTING UP.

I PRESS POWER AND I GET A SCREEN THAT ASKS ME IF I WANT TO RUN NORMAL MODE, SAFE MODE, ETC. IF I CHOOSE ONE, IT ACTS AS IF IT'S DOING SOMETHING, AND THEN GIVES ME THE SAME SCREEN OVER AND OVER.

I'VE TRIED TO UPDATE IT BY PUTTING IN XP BUT IT WON'T START.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?!?!?!

PLEASE HELP
GENA

Advertisements

Camelman

Camelman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Can you please specify what processor you have running

gena824

gena824

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i'm sorry to say i have no idea what you mean. i have windows me, and my computer is a compaq presario.

Camelman

Camelman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
HI again, what version of the compaq presario do you have, it should be somewhere on the machine.

gena824

gena824

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oh. i'm not sure. i'm in a computer lab since mine won't start...i'll have to post it later on.

Camelman

Camelman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Is normal mode and safe mode your only options and when you installed windows xp was it an upgrade package or the full version?

Camelman

Camelman

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I think i know what is wrong, if your computer has been working then it probably has been damaged when you moved it as it wouldn't start up. When you first set it up at university it would have been in a loop the best option is to load up the windows xp version as it is better than ME, BUT first make sure the computer is not trying to load both ME and xp at the same time as this will confuse it you have to make sure that one of the programs has been completely removed. usually you can tell if you have both systems running when the screen comes up with ME and xp the processor probably couldn't take the strain and just loops itself therefore you can't get to your desktop.
And this might seem a silly question but the F8 key might be stuck (the button that you press to get to the options of safe mode ect) see ya

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
My suggestion would be to open the box and make sure all the connections are tight, if you think it has been banged around during moving. But that is if it's a desktop, laptops you need to be very careful with.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi gena824....

When you are at the "Black Options Page", read everything. Is there an option to "Restart using last known good configuration" (or similar)? If there is...select that and press Enter

keep us informed of your progress...

wannabe1