Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BFG 6800 GT OC and Multiplayer Games

• Please log in to reply

DeadNoMore

DeadNoMore

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I hope there is an expert out there somewhere. Here goes.

I installed the BFG 6800 GT OC and ran most games at the high end. Every now and then a game would lock up or have some graphic glitch like an added line or color issue. Usually could get it fixed with driver patch or a simple restart of the game. BTW-This happens almost entirely with multiplayer games.

I got BF2 and at first had a problem with the computer locking up but found a thread that suggested resetting default video settings and then putting them back to default. Go figure, it seemed to work.

I then installed COD UO. This game crashes 5 minutes into a game. Everything is fine up until I actually get into the game to play. The load up menus and picking of weapons has no problem.

Now BF2 is acting up again. I played for about 45 minutes last night and got the lock up. All I can do when it locks up is hard boot.

Here are the list of symptoms that occur:
Additional lines drawn in the game
Trees that look like they have Christmas lights on them
Distorted color up close but fine in the distance
Complete lock up with a jumble of color - Hard boot needed to restart
Complete lock up with jumble of color and high pitch screech through speakers
Complete lock up with jumble of color, sound loop, and regular sound

I have upgraded my soundcard to an Audigy 2 platinum, reformatted, updated all drivers, installed a new 480 watt power supply, moved cards around in the PCI slots, tried running the system with half the periphials unplugged. Nothing seems to help.

Also, the video card is an AGP and the mobo is MSI.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dead

Advertisements

ILP

ILP

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I had similar problems with a card I installed, i have the 6800 OC, but I beleived it was due to me underpowering it. Now I'm wodering if the problem is with them.. hmm

BFG was great about replacing it though for a new one, and advised I install specific nvidia drivers that (according to them) are most reliable for their AGP cards, NOT the latest ones They had me remove everythng with DriverCleaner, and install that earlier version. When I get home I can give you the specific driver version, maybe that will help you out.

Edited by ILP, 24 August 2005 - 11:55 AM.

DeadNoMore

DeadNoMore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Can anyone help here? I am getting very desperate.
Thanks,
Dead

TMartinez

TMartinez

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey , I got problems with that card too , I dont think my vid card (6800 GT OC) Is running at max , I've tried everything I know , but keep getting cheaps frame
rates , I dont know what is the problem I've tried changing my mother board, but keep getting weak graphics for the video card i own.

I need help too,

T-MarTineZ

:tazz:

blizs

blizs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok i have eVGA 6800 GT 256MB, non OC, and i never had any kind of problem with the games stated above. I have also got a true 450 W supply and note, the power supply given to the card must not have any other devices on it (e.g. HD , CD/DVD , floppy)
Even still if you cannot solve the problem, then try undoing the over clock thing (i personally hate it, cuz if the manufacturers think that it can run on high clocks, then why the [bleep] don't they OC it themselves and sell it more expensive!!!!!!! ).

Anyway, rollback your driver to the drivers that were given with the BF2 DVD (only for BF2, i dont know about COD ) and try again.

I know only these problems can occur... So good luck and keep us posted :tazz: