Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc wont reboot from cd

• Please log in to reply

BabyUniy

BabyUniy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
ok I have been reading alot of the topics on missing hal.dll and most of them tell me that all u have to do is reboot from XP cd but I can not get cd rom to work, which means that for some reason my pc will not reboot from cd in order to fix the hal.dll---- can someone please help me figure out how to get this problem fixed :tazz: :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you likely need to alter the boot order in bios to check the cd-rom first.

This is accomplished by pressing the f1, f2, or del key (usually), and then using your keyboard cursor (<>^) keys to navigate to the appropriate setting

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you not get the cdrom to work in windows? or have you tried to boot from it and it didn't work? just because it doesnt work in windows doesnt mean it wont work when booting (probably because of your hand hal.dll error)

BabyUniy

BabyUniy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok i have done that already went into bios and made sure that boot from cd was the first one but that did not work either!!!!!!!!!! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just checking

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what cd are you using in the cd-rom?

What exactly does it say

What kind of system?

Is the Cd dirty

BabyUniy

BabyUniy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok to start off I was on my boyfriends pc and uninstalled a program and rebooted and it told me that windows could not start up cause of missing the hal.dll so i tried to put the windows xp cd in the cd drive (his cd drive is cd-writer) and reboot nothing happened it just came back up with missing hal.dll cannot remember what kind of pc he has will be going to his house tomorrow and will find out all info from it. all i know he is really upset with me cause he just got the pc and is computer stupid and now he wont let me touch it--LOL but i know if i search and find the answers i can do it

Edited by BabyUniy, 24 August 2005 - 11:56 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Have you tried a different CD? Since you have the boot order set, my only thought is that the cd's boot sector is non-existent or damaged.

That is why I asked what CD you are using to try and boot from.