Problem has come up several times. When I open Thunderbird, it locks up when trying to download new mail. Upon closing T-bird, I will find that it remains runing as a process even after closing app.
If I launch Firefox or IE after running T-bird, those programs also cannot access internet. Upon re-booting, I get message(s) about XPCom:Event Receiver. Sometimes 3 or 4 instances of the file have to be manually closed.
I have completed all the steps on the GeeksToGo malware page including the HiJackThis section. (Log attached). After doing so, the problem with T-bird remains.
On a few occasions, the problem is resolved by closing down the system and re-booting. And, in the past, I have removed T-bird and re-installed it and the problem has cleared up for a time. (I removed it today, as well, and installed the latest version, 1.06.)
Today, I was able to download my e-mail using Outlook Express. After I did so, then I was able to use T-Bird to download a test message.
I have also attached the ewido scan report.