Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my motherboard

• Please log in to reply

Siten0308

Siten0308

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey,

When i turn my computer it only goes up to BIOS during POST, however when detecting the IDE (as it says on the screen) however it only says "detecting IDE controllers" it does not say nothing else. it looks like it is frozen however nothing else happens. do i need another motherboard? if so... what do you suggest i get, i need a good motherboard that has a socket 478 that can take DDR400 (PC3200) and has a AGP slot. what do you think? here is the previous motherboard i had for my computer

MSI 661FM2-LSR Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - it was pretty good, up until my computer over heated, then the board i guess went, i hope not, so hope you can tell me if my board is still ok.

thanks,

Steve

Advertisements

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
have you done anything to the inside of the computer when this problem started?
did you plug a new hard drive in or new cd-rom?
if your comfortable oppening the computer have you checked to see if any of the cables have come lose?
have you switched anything in the bios at all?

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
In case you decide to buy a MB...I just bought this one ands it's working well.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131492

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I have the same motheboard myself really good one and really satisfied with it but he can probly finde a good one for cheaper if he doesn't need 800 bus speed for instance if he only needs 533 depending on what chip he has

Edited by PastaBoy4, 24 August 2005 - 06:46 PM.

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey,

Thanks for your assistance, actually what happened previously i had a 350watt power supply, so i was running to hard, it over heated a lot and it kept shutting down due to this. Now one day for some reason i froze up, i turned it off and waited till i got my 500watt supply, finally i got it, but sadly i bought one earlier however it never came it (bought it from ebay) a tip for you fellas, do not buy from a name called "xpcase". Anyways back to the story, finally i got the 500 watt supply, i plugged it in, but sadly now it will not go all the way to BIOS, it will stay only when it says "DETECTNG IDE Connection", it will not go past that, so thanks you guys, is there any other motherboards you recommend, i would like a 800 fsb, but if you suggest a 533 then due tell me what other motherboards you suggest. thanks for your assitance again.

Steve

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
well if money is not much of an issue then you can get that board that supports 800 FSB
and then you have for future upgrade of your chip if your chip is curentley an 800 FSB then you must have a board that supports it. but most board on the market New ones at least are mainly supporting 800 anyways
I'm a big fan of ASUS so I would recomend checking their site for some boards that you may like
http://usa.asus.com/.../mb/mbindex.htm
look for Soket 478 and you have a choice of about 13 boards look at them and see witch one may be best for you if you have any questions about them fell fee to ask
:tazz:

Siten0308

Siten0308

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey,

For the MSI borad i had have and have issues, does it have a light on it? if it does, it does not turn on at all, i dont remember if there was a light on it or not, can anyone specify or confirm if the motherboard does have a light on it or not? if so, i can finally confirm that it is my motherboard and i should get a new one. thanks your your help everyone.

Steve

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
according to the manual I downloaded, there are no diagnostic lights on this motherboard.

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
you can always try resetting your BIOS unplug the computer and take out the battary on the motherboard (i looks like a watch battery) then hit the power switch.
Nothing will happen because you computer is unplugged but it will drain any power left in your capasitors now put the battery back in then plug it back on and try and see if it still give you the same grief