Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't flash BIOS

• Please log in to reply

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hello,

It's been a long time since I attempted this and tried to flash my BIOS again. I purchased this upgrade from eSupport.com. They gave me indepth instructions on how to boot the floppy upon startup and flashing. Well I went through that process without any problems, but when I finaly entered "1" to "Backup and Flash BIOS" I recieved a error:

ERROR! Can't Find System BIOS Hook.

My product only supports E-Mail support, sadly. I cannot contact them via telephone; they never replied to my multiple E-Mails.

What's going on here - are my BIOS messed up?

Thanks,
Matt

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you are not experiencing any problems, it is generally recommended to leave the BIOS alone. Can you boot the system okay at this time?

Johanna

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Yes I can, but I didn't pay 30 dollars for nothing.
I'm still spending months on trying to get my new X800 XL graphics card to stop being bottlenecked. I reach very small FPS's, while my Ti4200 would reach about 20 more.

Obviously I figured this would help out my card, but surely I don't know if it does. I've posted multiple topics regarding this graphics card problem. Alot of people say that my other hardware is being the bottleneck. Then again, when you look at the box of my graphics card it only states that I need atleast 256 MB system memory, and a 300 watt PSU. I have a 450 PSU, so that should not be the problem. My motherboard does support AGP 8x, and is set on 8x. I basically tried everything I possibly can... safely.

Anyway, shouldn't the box STATE that I need a certain type of CPU? I would of never spent 300 dollars on this card if I knew I wasn't able to recieve its full potential. On top of all that, ATi has ran out of ideas considering my problem, but apparantly ATi claims I don't need anything but the basic requirements such [bleep] 256 MB of system memory.

EDIT: The "Bleep" was meant to be "as" not... well you know.

Edited by FalloutYear, 24 August 2005 - 05:38 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System which means that it stores the data your computer needs to boot, and very little else. The place you bought your "flash" looks like a rip off to me, because every motherboard I've met had BIOS updates available on the manufacturer's website for free. http://www.unicore.com/home.cfm

From Wikopedia:
Bios is the the built-in software that determines what a computer can do without accessing programs from a disk. On PCs, the BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, display screen, disk drives, serial communications, and a number of miscellaneous functions.
The BIOS is typically placed in a ROM chip that comes with the computer (it is often called a ROM BIOS). This ensures that the BIOS will always be available and will not be damaged by disk failures. It also makes it possible for a computer to boot itself.

I'm going to read your other posts about your graphics card.
Johanna

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
www.esupport.com is not a rip off, and that's a fact.

AwardBIOS is the only motherboard that has BIOS upgrades that cost, according to eSupport.

Thanks for looking over the graphic card threads.

PS. That unicore link is the link to eSupport too.

Edited by FalloutYear, 24 August 2005 - 08:12 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

www.esupport.com is not a rip off, and that's a fact.

AwardBIOS is the only motherboard that has BIOS upgrades that cost, according to eSupport.
Thanks for looking over the graphic card threads.

PS. That unicore link is the link to eSupport too.

View Post

Howdy:

First of all, AwardBIOS is NOT a motherboard.. it is a BIOS.. Many motherboard manufacturers use Award BIOS just as many use AMIBIOS for their systems !!

Secondly, did you even think to check the ASUS site first?? If you had, you would have seen that they have BIOS upgrades available for your ASUS mobo !!! Of course eSupport is going to tell you what they did.. They want to SELL you the product, not have you look and get it for free!!

http://www.asus.com....7N8X-X&Type=All

Murray

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Howdy:

First of all, AwardBIOS is NOT a motherboard..  it is a BIOS..  Many motherboard manufacturers use Award BIOS just as many use AMIBIOS for their systems !!

Secondly, did you even think to check the ASUS site first??  If you had, you would have seen that they have BIOS upgrades available for your ASUS mobo !!!  Of course eSupport is going to tell you what they did..  They want to SELL you the product, not have you look and get it for free!!

http://www.asus.com....7N8X-X&Type=All

Murray

View Post

Indeed I know that Poenix AwardBIOS is a type of BIOS. I was in a hurry to catch my BF2 game, it was a typographical error.

Secondly I did look at their site, but I figured they were an older version. Yes, I'm an idiot.

Regarding my system - I ran 3D Mark, and recieved a result score of 4500. Is that any good?

Edited by FalloutYear, 24 August 2005 - 09:10 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I didn't say you were an idiot- I said I thought esupport was trying to rip you off by selling you something you didn't need, that you could obtain legally for free.

Regardless, the BIOS isn't going to cure your graphic card woes. Do you have a link to your other graphics card posts?

Johanna

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hey there,

I realize you weren't calling me an idiot, I just like to call myself that.

Anyway, the topic I posted about my card issue can be found here: http://www.geekstogo...topic=47817&hl=.

Thanks for the on-going help.