Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot start Windows with my new MoBo :(

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
noobsaibot21....

Have you formatted the new HDD? It must be formatted and partitioned before you can install Windows on it.

wannabe1

Advertisements

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Yes, I have formatted it (ntfs) and partitioned it.

I will do so again as i have literally nothing to lose on it except for the "Installation" which does not seem to work. It is definately taking up the space on the HD.
It should also be noted that after this "Installation", i went to set up (after the PC asked me a few more times to install windows XP) and changed the 1st Boot device to the HD. I was hoping that would would work but i just get a message saying that windows could not load. Press Ctrl, Alt and Delete to restart.

I noticed when it was installing files that a the name Dell came up a couple of times. Could they have edited the CD to automatically install files for their own motherboard? It does sound very Dell so, if that is the case, is there any work around? Will i need a retail version of Windows XP? And what is the I/O imput thing all about?

Thanks in advance,
Noobsaibot21

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
You apparently still have in the XP CD when the computer restarts after installing setup files...Correct?

If yes then thats probably why you're being asked to setup windows again....Remove the CD and let it boot from the HD...You will be asked to reinsert the CD along the way but at least you will know if this is the problem installing XP..

Now this is providing the the XP installation (for another computer) will allow you to install XP on a computer that is not a Dell.......

Normally the manufacturer of the computer will embed driver files for the computer to be used during installation and sometimes the installation will not complete due to different hardware setup.

You could get lucky and get by all this but I wouldn't count on it.

Anyway try what I suggested earlier in this post and if it works Good For you...If not you may have to buy another copy of XP.

I wonder if Windows will allow some sort of price break in these cases?...Might wanna check into that too.

Trying to lend a hand......

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
noobsaibot21...

it should be noted that this XP CD came with my friends Dell PC which had XP pre installed

This is an OEM restore cd and will not work with anything other that the Dell machine it was designed to be used on. You will either have to install Windows 98 on your drive or purchase a new Retail version of XP.

Is your Win98 cd a full install or an upgrade? That can make a difference in how you do the installation.

wannabe1

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
The Windows 98 CD came with my Dell all those years ago but it doesn't look like an "OEM restore cd". It does say "For distribution with a new PC only" but there is nothing on the cd which has any reference to Dell.

Assuming it is the same as a retail version, i thought Windows 98 wouldn't work on an ntfs formatted HD? I do have 98 installed on my old HD for use with my new MoBo but i can only run in safe mode.*

Any ideas?

Edit: I have already tried to install 98 on the new HD but it won't install, it simply does it's "routine check" of my HD and, when it resets, repeats the process.
I absolutely refuse to buy XP again, especially since i have all of the Installation disc files saved on my HD and a CD-R.

* If i try to start windows normally, the Windows 98 screen flashes up twice and then the PC stops responding

Edited by noobsaibot21, 02 September 2005 - 05:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

The Windows 98 CD came with my Dell all those years ago

I'd bet a virtual brew :tazz: that the Win98 is also an OEM. I think you best option at this point is to purchase a new Retail version of XP...

wannabe1

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
It probably is knowing Dell. At least I know that once I get this up and running , I never have or WILL deal with them ever again.

What about all those XP installation files (esentially the XP installation CD i purchased at retail) that i have saved on my old HD and on the CD-R? And that I/O input error? Is there any way for me to trick the MoBo into running the CD-R as the actual installation CD?

Failing that, How do I find out my product key on the PC? I will phone MS and see if I can scab a new disc as a last resort. I lost my hard copy of it :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
noobsaibot21

You can download the Magical Jelly Bean key finder HERE. It will find your product key for you. On Win98, you can also pull it out of the registry in most cases, but that is a little more involved. Try the jelly Bean.

If there is a trick to fooling the motherboard into installing from the CD-R, I haven't learned it. Not too sure on the I/O error...it's probably related to a botched install, though.

wannabe1

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Going to try that Jelly Bean thing later tonight.
I will let you know how i get on with MS.
Many Thanks,
Noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again All,

Just thought i'd give you all an update. I got a replacement XP CD off Microsoft. It cost EUR24.00 but it's better than shelling out ANOTHER EUR140.00. Anyway.....

LIFE IS GREAT. :tazz: The New PC Works Just Fine. The only thing it lacks is a Graphics Card but i'm not bothered about that.

Anyway, This Topic can be closed now at last. Many thanks to everyone who helped me out on this.
Regards,
Noobsaibot21

Advertisements