Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing Celeron D skt 478 FAN

• Please log in to reply

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just got a Celeron D 330 CPU socket 478, and the fan instalation instructions were not very clear so I found the instructions on Intlls web site. I got the clips in and trying to push down the lefts. One lever went down but the other is requireing alot of force and even makes a spring like sound when i let go. the instructions say it requires alot of pressure, and that the bord is suposed to bend slightly, but how much force does anyone know?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I cannot get the last lever down for the life of me, anyone with experince in Celeron D socket 478 fan instalations?

the actual intel instructions I found here
http://support.intel...b/CS-017348.htm

Edited by kellymandrake, 24 August 2005 - 06:44 PM.

Advertisements

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
ok it does requier quite a bit of push but not very much more than the other side it it does you may have to jigle the heat sink allitle bit it could not be properly inserte thus preventing the fan hooks from properley clamping

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you may have to play with the orientation of the HSF, I had a similar difficulty on the last socket 478 I built, and found that just turning the HSF around allowed it to pop together pretty easily.

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im such a newbie, but by turning around do we mean unclipping the hooks and lifting it off the processor then turning it around? Would this damage the heat sink stuff? It is requireing much more force then the other. Tryed shifting the unit, gosh this is so complex.

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
no you can remove the clamps withought removing the HS (BIG METAL PEICE)
and just turn the fan itself around and play with it to get it fit in proper groves

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I ended up bringing it to the place where I bought it and the guy there did it for me free of charge. But he lifted the entire fan and heatsink off and i saw the compound was disturbed, I asked him if it will be ok and he said yes. So I took his word for it. He did the whole thing in just 5 seconds, and both clamps are down now.

Should I just take his word for it and trust him, with the fact the compound was disturbed. Anyway I take it back tomorow again cause the powersuply is a 24 pin and mobo wants 20 pin, does not seem to have removeable 4 pin. But guy said on phone that they use this power suply all the time, so bring it in and they will put the power suply in for me, again free of charge.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
IF it is only on and off then the thermal compound is ok if you just stick it straight back on.

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Im prity sure when I saw him do it, he lifted it straight up, looked at the compound, and put it back down then cliped everything into place, all faster then my eyes. When i get the powersuply done tomorow, and i finaly power the system, would there be any indicator that something is wrong and i should turn it back off.

I think all my extra worys prob have to do with my anxiety disorder, hmm.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
Its always better to be safe then sorry, especially when it comes the the cpu!

watch the temp readings on the cpu, if they get above the mid-40's celsius idle, or above low 60's under load, then something isnt right. dont think this is going to be an issue.

sounds like you got a good guy at that shop there, if he is doing that stuff for you at no charge.
any other questions, please post them, we'll be happy to help out!

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Alright, the fan was installed by the tech, and I had to buy a 24-20 pin converter for my power suply. Now what the problem is with everything hooked up I get no video signal, but the monitor is black, does not warn about the signal just nothing shows up. I do not even get a beep code. I tryed two video cards that I know work. The Asus mobo has a green power light on it indicateing power is aplyed, and the led in front of case is showing power.

after haveing gone back twice, this time he says if it is an instalation problem then there will be a charge but if the motherboard has a problem they replace that free of charge. I would like to be able to identify the problem on my own but after swaping the video card and hard drive with known working components im at a stand still.

I left all the jumpers the way they came, I do wounder though about the ones that control sleep mode, weather I should switch one to wake it up or something.

It is an Asus P4P800S-X

Anyone have an idea?

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmm, so Im clear on this, had you powered the system up before?
when you turn it on, do you see things at the start, with the BIOS start up, etc. or is it just no display at all?
at the top of the hardware section there is a pinned topic on new build troubleshooting tips, take a look at it, see if any of those help out.

let us know how that goes, if you have questions on the trouble shooter, etc. we will try to get you up and running.

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sory for the delay in responce. There was nothiong on the display, no post, bios or anything. I since fixed that problem by clearing the CMOS as dirtected on asus web site.

Now I get the bios and then it goes to load the os (win xp) it asks me what mode to start in and I say normal mode. It imidiatly restarts and again returns to the menu. I choose safe mode, it loads the drivers then imidiatly restarts. If i change the boot sequence for CDROM..Floppy..HDD then put xp cd into drive, it apears to read cd, but then brings me back to the menu. If i remove cd and put in a win 98 boot disk, it does not apear to read the floppy drive at all and goes back to the menu.

Does this mean it is overheating. Cause acording to the power supply calculation tables 350W is enough for this system, but here is what is in it:

P4P800S-X MoBo
Celeron D 330 2.6GHz CPU
Kingston 512MB PC3200
(KVR400X64C3A/512 compatible acording to Asus manual)
Aopen QF50B Case and 350W Pwr (has 4 pin 12v connector pluged in)
A 24 to 20 pin converter for 3 dollars.
1 CDROM
1 Floppy
1 HDD

With the Floppy and CDROM disconected, it does the same thing. So this should be a overheat problem where the heatsink compound needs replaceing corect
Not a power one?

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just realized the pinned topic says to remove batery then move jumper but the asus manual and the web site said nothing about removeing batery first. Is this difernt depending on the brand?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you dont need to remove the battery as well, it is an extra measure of safety to clear the CMOS.
as long as you unplug the box, moving the jumper for 10-20 seconds is sufficient. feel free to pull the battery as well, if you like. it certainly wont hurt.
after doing that, you will need to go into BIOS and reconfigure settings. make sure the cpu is seen correctly (should be automatic), ram is set correctly (go with "BY SPD" if available, this configures the RAM settings by what the ram tells the machine it can do).
there should be a screen to monitor system voltages and temperatures in BIOS, have a look there. let it run for while, checking the CPU temp occasionally. using the numbers we posted before, if the chip is running hot, then redoing the thermal paste will be needed.

also I would suggest setting the boot sequence for floppy, CD, HDD.

is this a new hard drive, or being moved from another system? fresh install of XP, or a reload, or ?

kellymandrake

kellymandrake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok alot of stuff changed for the beter. Turns out the system wasnt overheating, store person changed something in bios and all is well, had some dificulties booting from CD at first but now its all good except for the sound. I get no sound from the jacks in the back but get sound from the front. Ever hear of this

Edited by kellymandrake, 09 September 2005 - 05:58 PM.