Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts then dies

• Please log in to reply

dimi16

dimi16

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well here is my problem

I recently bought an antec 350 w power supply to replace my old one. The official name is antec SL350 smartpower. I installed everything and have found that when i start up the computer for about have a second the fans go, the mobo light turns red and then it shuts off. I am wondering what could cause this problem.

One thing i noticed is that there is a fan connector for the PSU so i tried it with that unconnected because i dont have enough fan slots on my mobo then i tried it connected to the case fan slot... the same thing happens.

I have some important files on this computer that I need to transfer so help is urgently needed.

Thanks a bunch

-Dimitri

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try starting the machine with only the psu mobo and memory attatched...see if it goes through post. also try hooking the entire set up outside of the case on a piece of cardboard

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to reinstall the old power supply unit if it is in operable condition. If the computer works then your new power supply is bad. If it doesn't then you have a more serious problem.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You may have some kind of sensor on your board or in your old supply which detects something related to the other part.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
It may sound stupid but this reminds me of a problem I encountered earlier this year. I had just built myself a new box and was feeling rather proud of myself, at least until the computer started freezing.

Not just freezing in the OS mind you, it was also freezing in BIOS. I thought it was a bad motherboard so I took it back to the supplier, of course it worked perfectly. Took it home and froze up again.

End result, power supply. Not the one in the box but rather the line voltage. Here in Australia we are supposed to get 240V, turns out my suburb generally gets about 220V where as the motherboard supplier was getting 237V (if you're a Yank, think California).

In my case the really frustrating thing is that you can never really be sure whether a problem is power related or not.

dimi16

dimi16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
well when i add the new power supply it works but that jusr isnt enough power to run my 9600xt so im stuck with onboard graphics whuich are terrible.. any suggestions?

thanks dimitri

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts

well when i add the new power supply it works but that jusr isnt enough power to run my 9600xt so im stuck with onboard graphics whuich are terrible.. any suggestions?

thanks dimitri

View Post

What do you mean by "I add the new power supply"? Why did you replace the old one in the first place, is it faulty? That's not clear.

A 350 w power supply is rather weak for a computer which has lots of memory, fans, powerful cpu, usb devices, heavy duty video card etc. I wouldn't buy anything below 500w. Throughout this thread Ii's impossible to understand where the problem is. It is most likely in the power supply or the video card. You have to replace each of them, temporarily, to find out where the problem is.