Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RSS Feeds

• Please log in to reply

DOSBOX

DOSBOX

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello to all,
I am trying to add some RSS feeds to my Web Site, it looks as though Mambo is going to be the route for me however after spending most of yesterday digging through the net I have only made things worse for myself with all that there was to read and digest.
So can some kind person here please help me with this, I have never before built a website however due to the type of the site we hope for I feel that having say 5-10 different feeds for our users will be worth the effort in the long run. I have already bookmarked feeds I hope to recive the biggest question I have left right now is how does a person view them, that is do I install a viewer or would it be on the users end to do this ?
Please be kind and any replys should be spelled out in details for simple o'l me, easy to say for now I am in way over my head.........Thanks in advance for any help

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I don't have a script handy for Perl CGI to render an RSS feed in HTML for use in SSI on sites, but you can do a search online for RSS aggregators. There are many free open source readers available. :tazz:

DOSBOX

DOSBOX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Would that aggregator be added to the website or would there be a link for people to use ?
I'm sorry its just that I dont have a clue ?

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
To display an RSS feed on a website the RSS feed must be converted into a format which can be displayed. The easiest way to do this is with Javascript. To correctly display RSS feeds so that search engines see them as part of your web page content you must use parsing software which reads the RSS feed and displays it's content as html.

You could use an aggregator to display RSS feeds on say your desktop.

There are actually several ways to use an RSS feed. I'm giving you a link that might help you out a bit more. I don't know your skill level, so this might explain things better than I can.

http://www.feedforal...-php-script.htm

Hope it helps. :tazz:

DOSBOX

DOSBOX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
katkat92
Thank you for the link, glad to see that it is one that I did not slog through yesterday,
Take Care and Thanks Again....