Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing letters

• Please log in to reply

not confused

not confused

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I bootup my notebook all the letters 'L' are missing, if I go into Norton AV 2005 and try and look at the activity log the machine blue screens and has a memory dump - every time. Have just done a scan with 'stinger' in safe mode with no results. ANY IDEAS

Advertisements

not confused

not confused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
by the way the notebook is running xp home sp2, NAV 2005, windows anti spyware, all progs have the latest updayes. I have just tried switching off some odd looking programs in MSCONFIG and it seems to have done the trick.

question: where did i get this C**P from ??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error (rather than restart)...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

I suspect video driver problem, but let's see

not confused

not confused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply, my main problem is the missing letters. After using 'xoftspy' i pick up some more spyware. It's funny because lent my notebbook to my nephew with my wireless pcmcia card and it all started there. I am going to back up and reformat as a last resort.