Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help another problem!

• Please log in to reply

fioreskater

fioreskater

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
well this all started when i bought a tower off ebay came with everything but ram i couldnt get the montior to go on and i tried everything so i decied to buy a new mobo so today i connect the mobo and i just put in the processor and connected a montior to see if i can at least get in the bios so i turn the power switch on the cpu fan goes on for 1 sec then off then theres no power to the board at all and theres a burning smell on the processor and the heat sink is the processor no good? our am i connecting the motherboard wrong? i dont wanna damage it my mother board is a pcchips model number m851g and the processor is a amd xp 2000+ socekt a

Advertisements

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
also i just realized that my new mobo takes the prcoesser vcore slot its square and has 4 prongs so i connect it and thats when it went on for a sec then it shut off no power completely now if i take the vcore plug out the psu goes on without a problem but gives no power the the processer fan whats going on?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
[quote]no power to the board at all and theres a burning smell on the processor and the heat sink is the processor no good[\quote]
probably don't have to tell you but....this isn't good..try to find the source of the smell before you turn the machine on again...look for any bulging capacitors or anything like that....also once you locate the source disconnect everythig but your ram video card and psu from the board and try to start it up..

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
the smell is coming from the top of the processer and the bottom of the heat sink also im only trying to boot it up with the processor connected nothing else since the video is intergrated

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok..if your processor is smelling bad......then...well...its bad....if you have localized the smell to the processor then you may have torched it...

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
well see i got this processor with the motherboard from ebay and i couldnt get it working so i figured it was the motherboard but now that a bought a new one and put the processer in it from the one i bought from ebay it smelt even when i didnt have my new mobo so maybe it was bad to begin with? also why would when i turn the puter on all of a sudden the power dies? it goes on for a sec but then it shuts off

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
helpppp lol

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...because if your processor is shorting out (which is probable if your new mobo isnt compatable with the other processor) then the system is designed to turn itself off as soon as it realizes the problem

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
no no i made sure they were compatiable so ok if theres a problem with the processor the board shuts down?

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok i bought a new processor i should get it next week

processors arnt supposed to smell burnt right?

Stasiek

Stasiek

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
that's right, anything that's electrical and smells burned is BAD.

hopefully it was only the chip that was bad if not you could have another burned out one and then the problem would point towards the mobo

fioreskater

fioreskater

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
it smelt like that before i tried it in my new mobo but didnt kno if the chip was bad but now i know lol now my old motherboard might work lol