Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell computer and non-dell parts?

• Please log in to reply

Kydflash1203

Kydflash1203

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My friend has a P4 2.6 ghz Dell Dimention 4600, and has had it for about 14 months. Recently her computer died, and was told by a Dell telephone tech, and later by Best Buy techs, her motherboard is dead, and it will be $600 to replace it. I have built a few computer and feel confident to do the install of a new m-board. My question, does the board have to come from Dell, or can i just order one from Newegg.com and install that. I don't know what kind of board she has yet, i would have to look at the computer better. I assume most of the periphials will work, but are there components that are special to Dell computers? I can provide more info on the computer if it is needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well most of the parts in dell computers arent specific however the cases are alot of the time so she will probably need to replace the case and possibly the power supply.

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
$600??!?!?

Zarkahn

Zarkahn

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

$600??!?!?

View Post

Thats what I'm sayin'!

The whole bloody computer isnt even that much. (I think) but ethier way the motherboard in it is not no $600. I'm just saying that $600 for a motherboard is unreal! especially for that computer.

You can get a motherboard at Newegg. Just make sure it supports everything else with the computer. A new case and Power supply may be needed as well.

Is this what the case looks like? 4600
Posted Image

Or this: 4600C
Posted Image

Ethier way, A new case may be needed like warriorscot said.

Kydflash1203

Kydflash1203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yep, $600 for a M-board. That is why she wants me to try. Obviously i could replace the board cheaper. I guess my problem is what from a Dell computer won't work on a non-Dell m-board. If the above post is true, then i need a case, maybe a power supply, i have alse been told the RAM may not work. If if i have to buy all these things, the price climbs a little. I am tempted to pull it apart. i have a m-board lying around, and i can at least see if a regular m-board will fit. I assume all ATX style cases are uniform for mounting a m-board. This maybe more trouble than it's worth. Thanks any help.

Kydflash1203

Kydflash1203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The case is the first pic, with the whole computer showing. It looks like a ATX case at least. I guess i won't know till i tear it apart. The biggest problem it is a friend of my Mother-in-Laws computer. I don't mind risking my computer a family member computer to my bumbling, but she's a little far removed. I know enough about computer hardware to get myself in trouble, and am smart enough to know where to look to get out of trouble. But still........

O'well, i guess it goes under the knife, with less than confident surgeon. At least it's not mine.... he he he

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the cases are usually ATX but the hardware doesnt always work like that. 50 for a mob 50 for a psu and another 50 for case, you might need new ram but i would imagine it is DDR you can use cpu-z to check what kind of ram is in the pc.

CloneDr

CloneDr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My friend had the exact same thing happen. Dell Dimension 4600 warranty expired July 19 2005. Computer failed 2 weeks ago and all indications point to the mother board. Think maybe Dell has a problem with this model? Did you get a fix?

Kydflash1203

Kydflash1203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, we finally did get a new motherboard. She ordered it from dell and it was about $130, but it was refurbished. Which bothered me cause you can buy a good new board for that, but this was guarunteed to fit. I installed it, and no change. Didn't fix the problem. You can't turn the computer on. I tried other power cords, and the power supply was tested at Best Buy and they say it works, so with a new motherboard, and it still not fixed, the only thing left is the actual power switch right? What else could be wrong? Dell, swears it's not the switch, but can't tell me what it is then. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I am about to just buy the power switch off of ebay and try that. I can get if for less than $10 so if doesn't work, it's not a big investment.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Trace the wirers from the case switch to the mobo and I am not sure on a dell but were they plug into the mobo can you touch the 2 pins with a screw driver, this will do the same as the switch and turn on the computer.

What exactly does the computer do when you hit the power button? If nothing at all then either the power switch or more likely the power supply

Rick

Kydflash1203

Kydflash1203

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I will check out the screw driver thing, but there are like 7 pins on the plug. I will try and trace out which ones are the power switch and which are for the lights. As for the power supply, that is was i thought, but when my friend took it to Best Buy, she said he the power supply in to a meter of some sort, and he said it was working, that is what led to the mobo fiasco. I looked on ebay, and the switch i pretty cheap, i am tempted to just pick one up, and see what happens. I was thinking i could try putting her tower next to mine, and plugging her power supply into my computer. The cord should be long enough, and that way i can test the power supply myself. Other than that, i am out of ideas. Thanks for the screw driver trick, i didn't know that one, but if it works, does that mean switch is broken??? Thanks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah it means its broken, 130 thats more expensive than a brand new motherboard and a nice new case if she needed it. A problem with the power switch is the most unlikely of all problems as the switch is easily the simplest peice of electronics in any computer.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Try and get it to turn on with a screw driver if nogo we can test the psu but I won't be able to repond till sunday evening.

Rick

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
My power switch is kinda broken;you have to push extra hard to get it to respond. Just an irritation, but nevertheless its a possibility.