Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networks

• Please log in to reply

rayneman5

rayneman5

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi guys, hopefully u can help me out. I have dowloaded a bunch of videos onto my computer and i want to burn them. However i have a DVD burner on my new laptop and i want to transfer the files over to my new laptop without having to re-download them. is there anyway i can do this? i tried setting up a network and following the step by step proceedure but it said i can only netowrkd 1MB. Can sombodu help me.

Todd

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Are you trying to network your PC and your laptop through a router/hub or direct connection?

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
well i didnt actually have my laptop plugged into my router, i was using the wireless feature. im not sure if that is wut u were asking

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Wireless feature? You mean using the infrared port on your laptop?

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Well i have a wireless router which allows me to log onto the internet with my laptop from anywhere in the house becasue the router sends out the signal. So i had my laptop just sitting on my bed, connected to the internet with no cables attached to it. and i had my other computer in front of me. IS there a way to send all my files from my home computer to my laptop?

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Yes, if they are both connected to the wireless router (obviously the PC is wired and your laptop is not). What you need to do is make sure both computers are in the same WORKGROUP (i call the workgroup WORKGROUP). To do this, in XP right click on My Computer and go to properties. Then click on the 'Computer Name' tab and click the button that says 'Change'. Make sure the radio button 'Workgroup' is selected and type in 'WORKGROUP'. Click OK, and then APPLY and OK, then restart the computer when prompted to. Do this for both computers.

You also need to check and make sure that you have file & printer sharing for microsoft networks in your network properties. I wouls say how to do this now, but I have to leave and go pick up a computer since im at work :tazz:

If you have any problems, post em here and I'll reply when I get back.

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Oh, after you do all of the stuff in my previous post, you need to share the folder that has the data you want to transfer from your PC to your laptop. just right click on the folder and select sharing.

rayneman5

rayneman5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think i got it to work. i can now view the files that i downloaded with my home computer on my laptop. Thanx alot for your help. ONe more question for you. THe reason i was doing this was so i can burn all the Rock Star: INXS shows onto DVD. if the file is a .XVID file. do u know wut i need to do to convert these files so i can burn them to DVD? is there a certain program i need to download?

Hopefully you can help me with this last question. If you Cant, thanx alot for all the help u have given me to network my computers.

Todd

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Unfortunately I cannot tell you how to do this