Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor 80GB ATA/133 Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi,

My Maxtor 80GB ATA/133 Harddrive is not working properly. Basically my motherboard isnt recognising it. I have found out one of the pins have broke and have tried the ovious ways of repairing it but with no luck Does any one know where I can buy the main board for this hard drive? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Andrew Sexton

Advertisements

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Does any one know where I can buy the main board for this hard drive?

do you mean mother board for the computer or just the board the the actual 3.5 inch hard drive peice

if it's a pin missing on your hard drive you don't need to replace the motherboard
if it's a pin on the hard drive you also won't finde somewere to get the board for it the esiest solution other than trying to repair the one pin thats broken is to replace the hole hard drive I have a 200 GB here and has 2 stupid pins missing that connects to the IDE (the big rbon cable) and have to just Bite the bullet and replace it :tazz:

andrewsexton

andrewsexton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Trouble is i dont wont to loose all my files. The pin that is missing is the one where I connect the ide cable to the hard drive.

Andrew

PastaBoy4

PastaBoy4

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I'm afraid you have no other solutions other than some kinde of temporary fix (sauder a pin in or something) or to bring your hard drive to a hard drive recovery place witch will probly cost alot :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can make a temp pin by cutting off a metal paper clip, cut it a little long, insert it in the connector where the pin is missiing. the missing pin may be still in the connector. You may need to eat your brocolli and use the large rubber bands to hold the connector in place. Make sure the sharp end makes electrical contact. If you've done everything just right you may find this works entirely well and you can use the drive to the end of it's service life, or until the bands weaken and need to be replaced. Or at least until you recover your data.

If you're thinking about changing out the board consult Maxtor, not all drives have interchangable boards.

Edited by Tyger, 26 August 2005 - 02:06 PM.