Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Sp1 start-up issues

• Please log in to reply

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
While attempting to clean a multitude of trojans and spyware, I may have screwed up some registry / other files which enable start-up.

When I start the PC, I can see the Windows "Welcome" Screen after which the screen stays blue forever.
I tried F8 after logging on and attempted "Last Known Good Configuration" but that didnt work - I have the re-installation CD but am not sure if that will destroy all data and existing programs on the computer. Please help, thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use last in list, Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation

http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks Keith - I could get to the Screen which says "Repair: - after selecting "r", it takes me to a DOS Prompt, asks for administrator password (blank) after which I am at C:\Windows. Any thoughts on where to go from here - appreciate your kindness and help. Peace.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have C:\Windows

or

C:\Windows " Microsoft Windows XP " in a box underneath To repair / To continue installing

If it is the latter, in a blue box on Windows XP set up then press R to repair

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Its just c:\Windows (like DOS prompt) on a black screen. No Blue Screen - thanks much.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK, this was VERY helpful - looks like I am back to some level of sanity. The desktop gets to the point where I can see the various shortcuts but when I try to fire up Word it says "This action is valid only for products that are currently installed"
Also, IE does not access the web .

Appreciate your help - muchas gracias, danke schoen

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check Internet options, connection to see it is set to dial default connection

For Word, if you have the Office CD, go to add remove, click Office, click change, remove Word, reboot, go to add remove, click Office, click change, click customize, add word

Office installs seem to run better if you chose complete install, run from my computer

suave_finesse

suave_finesse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks - looks like I am all set for now. Turns out that the network adapter card driver had to be re-installed. I will get the Office Cd and take care of word et al. Besides all Office application, the rest of the machine works like a dream - thanks for helping me to bring it back from a brink of disaster. Cheers for Geeks to Go!!!