Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Big Problem

• Please log in to reply

Benjerama

Benjerama

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok, ill explain this as best i can, i have a major problem. My computer is a compaq Presario that runs windows 98 and i have a compaq cd-rom D: drive, and a philips Cd-rom E: drive burner. Over the past months i was having a lot of trouble with the CD burner because almost all of my CD burning programs would not recognize the burner or the E drive. Only one would work, and that was windows media player, and i could only burn audio stuff. So i kept trying to find a solution and i came across someone who told me that i should switch to roxio burning software because thats what windows media uses to burn anyways. Well i got the software, installed it, and everything was going fine. i tried burning the first cd, and it worked for the first five min. All the sudden the computer just froze and up popped the little error screen( not the blue screen) that said easy CD creator(roxio) has caused an error, so the computer was frozen so i decided to just restart it again. This is where it got scary. At the start up there was only the black screen and the blinking cursor. I waited a couple of mins and i got nervous. Finally it went passed that part, loaded windows and i breathed a sigh of relief.
-Now here is my problem-
The E drive no longer exisists when i click on "my computer" and it will not eject whenever i try to open it by pressing the button. So there is a Cd inside this drive that keeps spining around and around and it is slowing my computer down. i have to wait those 3 min every time i start up my computer because this CD is inside that drive. I want to be able to somehow make my computer recognize this drive so i can eject this drive and take out the cd. If you can help me in any way, thank you, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Sounds like the software may have locked the drive. If so, you should be able to eject it before windows loads. Try powering the system on & pressing the eject button straight away. If it doesn't open immediately, wait a few seconds & try again.

If you find the system is booting up to windows before the tray ejects, then go into the bios (power on, as soon as the monitor LED turns green, press the F10 key a few times). When in the bios (system setup), try ejecting the CD again. Entering the bios simply stops the system from booting any further until you exit it, thereby giving you more time to eject the disc.

If this still doesn't work then you could try forcing the tray open. Have a look on the front of the CD drive for a tiny hole just beneath the tray. Get a paperclip & straighten it out. With the system powered on, insert the paperclip into the hole as far as it will go. This should force the tray open.