Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

about bookmarks in FF

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Bookmarks in FF can be imported from IE Favorites. My question is....when i add a favorite in FF, is there anyway that it will add automatically in IE?

Advertisements

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
In short

NO

Forget IE you DO NOT need it for anything at all.
That includes Windows Updates. Tell me one thing you need IE for and I will give you an answer as to why you don't need it for that. "GUARANTEED"

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
but then how do u backup the bookmarks? I cant find the folder where FF stores the bookmarks...

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts

I did not know that, is this something new???

Tell me one thing you need IE for and I will give you an answer as to why you don't need it for that. "GUARANTEED"

How about Online Virus/Malware ActiveX Scans for example..

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
The online virus scans used to be a problem, but alas Trend microscan
http://housecall.tre.../start_corp.asp
Now offers a plugin for netscape based browsers including Firefox, this plugin also works with Opera. Not needing IE is nothing new, as long as you know the address to geekstogo and follow the directions accordingly. :tazz:

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts

The online virus scans used to be a problem, but alas Trend microscan

So what if the user needs to run other online scans???

Now offers a plugin for netscape based browsers including Firefox, this plugin also works with Opera.

So what is the plug-in???

Please explain your thought process on this....I would like to know..

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Here is the information on "how to manage your profile". Which you should back up your profile also. When you get to profiles, open that folder and you will find a folder for each profile you have created. Open the one that you use the most or all of them if need be, and look for the sub folder marked bookmarks. Copy it and move it to some other place in your computer such as My Documents.. check it out . :tazz:

Attached Files

Edited by wllm55, 29 August 2005 - 06:59 PM.

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
The plug-in is oddly enough called 'house-call'. imagine that. it is java based so you dont need activeX. Since you are a moderator I shouldn't have to remind you that we should keep on topic, this line of questioning is almost degrading, and to that end I wouldn't want to be associated with such cynical coworkers, so if I may, please remove my name from the Geek U roster and also remove that cheesy Geek U badge from my name. And since you are the apperant moderator/expert please kind sir enlighten us ummm lesser, common folk of the uses that are needed of IE.

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
phybyr0ptyk,

I am not being cynical here... I am just asking these questions of you from the statement you made in a previous post.

That includes Windows Updates. Tell me one thing you need IE for and I will give you an answer as to why you don't need it for that. "GUARANTEED"

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Well I have answered your questions, with facts and sources to back them up. So if I am wrong please let me know. Aside from the trend scan, yeah I guess if you need another online scanner then yes you still need IE, but as far as I can tell so far you cant actually totally remove IE from your Win OS because so many other things depend on it. That just goes back to my original post, forget IE you don't need it for anything..........maybe, thats not 100% accurate, but assuming one is using firefox, keeping windows patched (which is now easily done with windiz update), keeping their AV up to date, using a firewall, running anti spyware tools such as spywareblaster and spywareguard, running periodic scans with Spybot, adaware, Microsoft Antispyware (if using XP) and TD3 or trojan hunter. Having this arsenal (which is always kept up to date with the latest malware definitions), being smart while online and using geeks to go when you have a problem, in my opinion has decreased the need to ever use IE exponentially.

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 29 August 2005 - 10:27 PM.

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
In now way shape or form was I trying to be degrading towards your comments. If you are going to make a blanket statements such as:

You better be able to back up that assertion. While some may argue the need for IE, it is still needed in some cases.

Secondly, why would you trust a site that specifically states the following:
Direct Disclaimer from WindizUpdate....

WindizUpdate is not affiliated with or authorized by Microsoft.

They also note the following:

Note: This is an Unsigned browser plug-in. We recommend that you make sure your definition files are up-to-date for your antivirus and/or anti-spyware software before continuing.

And also the following:

There is a delay from when new updates are released from Microsoft to when they appear on this site.

So my question is why not just use IE for your updates from Microsoft...And what is the need for a seperate plug-in when IE does the same thing without having to use a third party...

FYI on TDS-3

http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

rstones12

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
windiz update, reccommended from a moderator at this site, mostly for the hardcore anti microsoft guru's. I do not use it, but one can make their own assertions after reading the disclaimers, auto update works fine for me no hassle, happens in the background. The comment about making sure your virus definitions are up to date, common sense mostly and an unsigned plugin, I wonder how many extensions and themes are out there unsigned? I use very few extensions, themes or plugins because to me, you won't know something is happening because of an extension or theme until it is to late. On the bright side though, the beauty of open source, free source communities is that for every bad apple there are just dozens of good people waiting to fix broken, mangled and INFECTED code.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Actually IE has many uses, not just for activex. Most of the asp pages that I have to get to for work require IE.

Since you have taken it upon yourself to argue and fight with an expert who only wants to get to the bottom of your rediculious claims, I have suspended your user account for 5 days. You have also been removed from Geek U.

This thread is closed.

ScHwErV :tazz: