Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop: mouse issue

• Please log in to reply

mikeparis751

mikeparis751

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello-

I have a laptop running XP. Each time i turn it on, it detects a mouse and wants to install it but fails to do so. My touchpad mouse is working fine and I also have a cordless mouse on a USB port which works fine too.

Can someone help me?

Thank you very much,

Michael.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you get a box which says it was unable to install the hardware, look for the option for do not remind me about installing this again

mikeparis751

mikeparis751

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If you get a box which says it was unable to install the hardware, look for the option for do not remind me about installing this again

View Post

Thanks but i am unable to find such option. Do you have any idea how to disable the reminders?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then right click my computer, click properties, hardware then device manager, click + next to mice, you should see the other mouse which is trying to be installed, right click and then click uninstall, confirm and reboot.

When windows loads, it should open a box for adding the software for the new hardware, click next and so on until it gives up, on this box will be the option for do not remind me about installing this again.

mikeparis751

mikeparis751

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Click start then right click my computer, click properties, hardware then device manager, click + next to mice, you should see the other mouse which is trying to be installed, right click and then click uninstall, confirm and reboot.

When windows loads, it should open a box for adding the software for the new hardware, click next and so on until it gives up, on this box will be the option for do not remind me about installing this again.

View Post

Thank you :tazz: but I did just that and the box that opened did not have the option for do not remind me about installing this again. I run Windows XP on a Compaq 2218RS laptop. Thank for any other help you could provide.