Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MisApp.class (Trojan Horse)

• Please log in to reply

klwink

klwink

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Symantic NAV 2005 scan shows a trojan horse infection on my laptop which wouldn't delete through the program. Symantec provides removal instructions as follows:

1. Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP. Did that.

2. Update the virus definitions. Did that.

3. Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected. Note: If the product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, you may need to stop the risk from running in order to remove it. To do this run the scan in Safe mode. **

4. Delete any values added to the registry (after backing it up, of course).

5. Edit the Win.ini file.

6. Edit the System.ini file.

7. Clear the Temporary Internet Files folder.

**The problem: At step three, since the note applies to my situation, it was recommended that I boot into safe mode via Start/run/msconfig; at Boot.ini tab, check safeboot, click OK. (Should have stuck with the F8 method, but who knew?)

Now when I reboot the system, it comes up in safe mode but will not accept my password. I have tried every option under F8 and cannot get into my computer.

I have VPN settings from my work, as I telecommute two days a week, if that makes any difference. I'm totally not a network person and am completely frustrated and lost.

The trojan horse file path is: c:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\9WCVXHS9\proc[1].jar

Laptop is on a network (of two computers, one cable modem), connected by a router.

Is there some way to bypass the password so I can at least get into the system to change the msconfig back to normal boot? Maybe that wouldn't even help, but I don't know what to do.

Please help. :tazz:

Advertisements

klwink

klwink

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, anyway. Got the problem solved.