Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Getting Rid of PS Guard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Gary Liu

Gary Liu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
People, I am not a technical computer expert but I think I found a simple way to get rid of PS Guard.

I have been struck down with it three times in the past, twice warranting a reformatting of the hard drive (before I found this forum).

After you get infected, DO NOT reboot! I suspect PS Guard replicates itself in this process. Run Ad-Ware and other anti-spyware programs to get rid of it as much as possible. Then manually look through your directory for any folders with "PSGuard" in its title and delete. Also run CCleaner to clear as much crap as possible.

What is left of PS Guard should be in your Registry. You got 2 methods to approach this:

(1) Use Windows' System Restore to reset the system to a point in the past when you had no PS Guard infection, OR

(2) Import a backed up Registry file to clean up the Registry.

If you don't have a valid restore point or a backed up Registry file, apologies. Back to the experts in this forum.

I have used (1) myself and managed to get rid of PS Guard. So it is tried and true. Good luck!

Advertisements