Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

Woman

Woman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Good morning from Sweden!

A couple days back I removed Aluria and my IPs virus shield from my PC. Now, I can't connect to the Internet! I get either the "This Page Can't be Shown" message or another smaller one that says I can't connect to the page. (My messages are in Swedish and my translation may not be exact.)

I've tried refreshing Windows by running the Windows reinstall CD that came with my Dell.

I've gone through RUN to winipcfg and updated everything.

My IP guy says it's probably a virus (can that happen in a matter of seconds?). He suggests running a free virus program...but seems to have forgotten that I can't connect to the Net to download such a program.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Advertisements

Woman

Woman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
THANK YOU!

No, I never did get a reply to my Internet access problem, but I found the answer under someone else's post - the Winsock fix.

I copied the Winsock fix to a diskett at work, brought it home, popped it in, and let it do it's job - and I up and running again.

I LOVE THIS SITE!

Many thanks to all of you who share your knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

Amanda :tazz: