Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard replacement

• Please log in to reply

craigschroeder

craigschroeder

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I fried my motherboard. I bought the system from Compaq direct. They (HP) no longer support it and don't have the replacement board. Will any board basically work as long as it fits in the box? I've read that if I go with something other than a specific HP/Compaq replacement I'm asking for trouble. Don't know what to do. If I go with something other than hp, do I need to buy a new copy of XP even though I have an existing copy? There just isn't an separate CD for Windows. All original software bundled in a Recovery CD. I emailed HP support but the first question they have is whether it is still under warranty so it appears they want paid to help me. I'm not even sure what questions to ask but if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. If the motherboard died and you replace it, should not need "new" windows OS, because you are still using it on the same original computer the one you have was intended for. Now as to finding a replacement board, matching the failed one is the best way to go to alleviate concerns about conflicts within your Compaq system. You can run Belarc Advisor (it is free, search Google for it) and it will identify your motherboard make and model. Then all you have to do is find a replacement. HP/Compaq is still a good place to go to find a replacement board, even though the unit is no longer under warranty. You can go to their web page and use the interface there to contact tech support. Give them the complete information from the sticker on the back of the computer (I believe it has make, model, serial number and the manufacturer's build number). With this information, they can identify all of the parts used to build that box. Tell them the motherboard has failed, and you want to purchase a replacement. I will bet the have a replacement board they will be happy to sell you. It won't cost you anything to ask them this question. Give this a shot.

I have an old Compaq AMD 1 Ghz machine and wanted to upgrade the CPU (it was no longer supported and not under warranty). Would you believe it, they had a CPU that they would be happy to sell to me. It didn't cost me anything to ask, and they did answer.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
What model of compaq do you have?

craigschroeder

craigschroeder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It is a Presario 8000Z. I checked HP online and they said there wasn't any replacements available for the motherboard. Didn't talk to a person. I will email them with specifics and see what I get. I was hoping to get away from Compaq because have had trouble off and on with system (e.g., sometimes it forgets it even has a hard drive or any removable drives) but am happy with all other components, especially since I've had to replace the video card, cd-rw and floppy. Thanks for the help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You should be able to get away with replacing the motherboard with a non-compaq one. The CPU, memory, cards, drives etc will all be pretty standard & so should work in another motherboard. You will need to know the exact specs of these parts though in order to find a compatible board.

The only things that may cause a problem are the power supply & case. If both are standard, then you should be fine but if they are some weird proprietry thing from compaq, then you may need to replace these also.

Your biggest problem may well be the XP license. You said that XP was on the restore CD supplied by compaq. This implies that you have an OEM copy of XP which MAY be locked to that particular system (or motherboard). Replacing the board with a completely different one may result in problems when it comes to reinstalling windows.

I think you may just have to try it & see. Worse case scenario, you'll have to purchase a retail copy of XP.

craigschroeder

craigschroeder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the help Samm, and the quick response. Must have been my lucky day.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can Google or check on EBay for the availability of one. If the board has a standard maker's part number you may be able to buy an exact replacment. Sometimes the "biggies" use ASUS, Biostar, or other standard boards.

craigschroeder

craigschroeder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The name on the board is Quiksilver2-CMT. I've contacted Circuit City, per HP, to see if they have a replacement.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Since the motherboard died, and you have a legal licensed OEM windows xp cd, you should be able to use it in that same computer when you replace the motherboard.. However, I suspect it will require a phone call to M$.