Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

have question about a solution I found.

• Please log in to reply

MDRasor

MDRasor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have been trying to install some things form CD-ROM drive and get the message below:
16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
Path to the program that you are trying to install
config.nt The system file is not suitanle for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Now, I have went to microsoft support sire and found the floowing solution:
Start
Run
In the Open box type cmd, then click OK
At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing enter after each command.
When you type these commands, replace cd-rom with the letter for your CD-ROM drive, drive_letter with the drive letter for your system partition, and system_root with the name of your Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 folder (this is typically either Winnt or Windows).
After you type these commands, restart your computer:

expand cd-rom:\i386\config.nt_ drive_letter:\system_root\system32\config.nt

expand cd-rom:\i386\autoexec.nt_ drive_letter:\system_root\system32\autoexec.nt

expand cd-rom:\i386\command.co_ drive_letter:\system_root\system32\command.com
The rest of the solution I have left out of this post, but it basically says to save each, then copy and paste to the system 32 floder.

The part I have a question about is replacing cd-rom with the letter for the CD-ROM drive (which on my computer is D drive). Then it says to replace drive_letter with the drive letter for your system partition. The last part is replacing system_root with the name of your Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 folder.

The main question I have is what exactly does it mean by the drive letter for your system partition? I am REALLY illiterate where computers are concerned, so this may sound like a pretty elementary question. But I do need help...badly.
Also, on the last replacement, do I just type Windows (because that is the folder where my System 32 folder is located)?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
System Partition drive letter is most likely C:

System root would be C:\Windows\System32