Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new notebook on the fritz

• Please log in to reply

jmurphyv2

jmurphyv2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Vaio thats about a week old. I had the Geek Squad at Best Buy install Norton and Spysweeper and all that jazz. When I brought it home and started it up, the start-up sound was skipping really bad--I just figured because the notebook was new. Fast forward to now--I'm in Vermont at school and the Vaio is still messed up. It takes forever to boot up, the start-up sound skips, when I play songs they skip, especially when I'm running other programs. So we brought it to Best Buy--we looked at it and discovered that the comp was running about 50 programs. So they did a diagnostic on it, deleted the OS and reinstalled it and also did some manual updates. Apparently the guys at GS didn't do the fuctionality test when I first bought it for some reason, so the guys here did that. I got it back yesterday and it was working great. I downloaded and installed Firefox and AIM, scanned with Norton and Spysweeper with nothing bad. Now today I booted it up and same thing--it took forever. Task Manager says theres about 45 programs running! I have no idea what's going on. Could this really be from Firefox and AIM? I don't have a lot of options seeing as I'm at school and am busy with athletics. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by jmurphyv2, 29 August 2005 - 07:07 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
AIM can let a lot of crap on your system, but it's tough to say...my first stop would be the malware forum (see my signature)