Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Code 10 message with optical drives

• Please log in to reply

MKL125

MKL125

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Suddenly, without warning, my optical drives won't start. LiteOn DVD and SAF CD burner. When I restart the computer, it does a memory dumpto disk. The OS (W2K) sees the drives but tells me they won't start due to an incorrect environment. BIOS is correct for the drives. Device Manager has yellow exclamation points next to each drive. I uninstalled and attempted reinstall using Windows drivers, but nothing changed. What is this? :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I found this at M$
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315378
If this does not help, search the W2K knowledge base. Lots of other hits for CD drive will not start.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First I would take a deep scan with antivirus and antispyware. Thats because it is practically a rutine with me for almost every problem. If that doesn't help I would take a repair installation of the operating system.

MKL125

MKL125

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz:

I thought you would like to know that I tried the suggestions both of you listed. The first worked partially; my error message changed to "Code 31". I searched the MS kb as suggested and found the answer to my problem. All works OK now. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.