Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD Question

• Please log in to reply

BenB864

BenB864

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Im gonna be building a new computer and currently have a recently bought WD 120 GB IDE drive. I had cloned it from my old drive and it has windows, my music, videos, ect... Im going to buy an SATA drive for my new build and install the OS on that. The things is can i just set the IDE drive i have as a slave on the new comp, or will the OS on IDE drive conflict with the OS on the SATA drive?

Also when boot up for the first time when i build my computer do i have to FDISK and format my hard drive with a floppy, or is that now done when you install Windows XP?

Ben

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As long as you set up boot priorities then you can do that no bother, also you dont have to change the settings on a single IDE drive usually as the SATA drives are automatic when it comes to master and slave so the SATA should be your primary even if the IDE is set as the master. You dont need to format using Fdisk this is done in an install.

BenB864

BenB864

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
so that fact that XP is gonna be on the secondary drive doesnt matter? and when i hook up the IDE, because the SATA is automatically Primary, i dont have to deal with the jumpers on the IDE drive, i just have to adjust boot order...

Any recommendations on an SATA HDD for around 80$, size above 100 GB?

Thanks for the help.

Ben

Edited by BenB864, 29 August 2005 - 05:25 PM.