Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Detecting a DOS attack

• Please log in to reply

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I agree to that RockyIV,

But you do gotta agree that its a really awesome firewall to use. This one protects my computer, even if Im the only one firewalled on my computer.

I even froze my dad's comptuer with this firewall... had the setting on hight and he when to try and get in, and it froze his computer lol.

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Yeh that happened to my old system! It just was way too much now I use a piad version of McAfee Firewall detected over 10 hacking attempts since I got my computer! And over 50 on my old PC!
RockyIV

cleverboy12

cleverboy12

• PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
So what about Sygate for a Intermediate Computer User ? :tazz:

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

So what about Sygate for a Intermediate Computer User ? :tazz:

View Post

no sure to be honest with you, I am not keen on Sygate firewall. I kept having problems with programs asking to go on the net etc.

We're with Zone Alarm, I know that firewall in and out and i know how to get around things, stregnthen my computer for the network and internet etc.

Casey37

Casey37

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Honestly if you're behind a router most "hacking" attempts can't reach you. They would have to poison your routing tables to get through Network Address Translation to reach your system.

Look at it like this, your system moves from a listed house address (direct connection to the internet) to an unlisted apartment number (NAT behind a router).

Your router grabs a live IP address from your ISP then translates it to an address on the LAN side set specifically by ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers) as a black hole on the internet. Ranges of addresses are set specifically as private, unrouteable sites to keep Random Joe-a's network from conflicting with Random Joe-b's and as a first attempt at keeping us from running out of IP address space.

This is why port forwarding is required to get some programs to work properly when connecting to a program behind a router, the router does not forward the information because it was not requested by the computer/program on the LAN side.

When a person or program attempting to access your computer scans the subnet you are on and finds the WAN interface of your router, now how does it convince the router not to follow it's own rules?

If that's possible I'd be surprised, though there are a few exceptions out there just like vulnerabilities on computers.

A firewall does stop internet access attempts out by programs on your system but doesn't doesn't see much work from the internet side on a LAN. That's why you want a firewall that watches access requests by program since any firewall simply watching ports will see any request for port 80 as your web browser, any attempt for port 25/100 as your mail client...

If someone has a different opinion on this I'd love to see more info.