Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer is CUTTING OFF first few letters of emails

• Please log in to reply

rara425

rara425

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz: :) Hi everytime I go to print an email, the first letter or two is cut off. I have to copy to word then print it from there. I also noticed it when I print like an invoice from amazon or something as well. Any ideas what is causing this? THANKS. :)

Advertisements

Jarenien

Jarenien

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Taken from this site:

Q. Why do words get cut off the edge of a page when it is printed?

A. Before you print, you should do a Print Preview to see what the page will look like when printed. The Print Preview option is located in the top-left hand portion of the browser window. Select and left-click on the File menu and move down to Print Preview. Left-click Print Preview and you should be taken to a screen that displays what the page will look like when it is going to be printed. If the printed page is going to cut off desired information, then proceed to the next step.

When printing WebPages, the reason you will get information cut off the sides is because of the default page size. Most WebPages are built to fit the entire screen but the page setup displays what a standard letter's width would be. To make WebPages fit onto one single page without material being cut off or removed, change the margins (example: left and right) to 0.166 (16% of an inch).

To do this, select Page Setup from the file menu, and set the left & right margins as shown below.

Once you have changed all the margins you want, left-click OK, then try the Page Preview again before printing the page.

Note: You can change other margins as well. If you change the left and right margins, then the printed page will show all of the information for the left and right sides of the paper while the top and left margins will show the top and bottom information.

Edited by Jarenien, 29 August 2005 - 06:51 PM.

rara425

rara425

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Jarenien, Thanks for the tips. However, Outlook Exress does not have a print preview option available. It's not on the FILE menu or anywhere else that I can see. I also cannot find a spot to change margins in there. I've been living with this dilemna for a while now and its so very frustrating. I cannot seem to find the answer. Thank you for your help I hope someone here has seen this before. Ray

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hey Ray.
This didn't come from my mind but from my research.
And I am thinking it really doesn't have so much to do with OUTLOOK EXPRESS
as it does your printer and or computer set up.

Here is what I found...Maybe it will help you....I hope so. (It's kinda LONG.) :tazz:
Janie :)

My Printer Cuts off the Page or Won't Print to the Edge
Content Updated: December 18, 2003

Source of the Problem

The arrival of the Microsoft Windows® operating system made many important changes to the world of PC computing, but few were as immediately visible as the Windows delivery on the promise of WYSIWYG: What You See Is What You Get. In other words, the document layout you see on your screen is going to be just like (or fairly close to) what you'll see on paper when you print the document.

But the truth is that you don't always get what you see. Sometimes, parts of the document—either characters or pictures—will be cut off, especially around the edges of the page. The most likely cause of the problem is that you've designed a document that extends into the printer's unprintable area—an area that results from the paper-handling mechanism's need to grab on to and hold the sheets of paper. A typical ink jet printer, for example, can't hold the paper well enough to let you print on the very top or very bottom of the page. When the print head is at the very top of the page, the printer hasn't grabbed the paper yet; when it's at the bottom, the printer has already let go. It helps to know as much as you can about the unprintable areas on your page.
How to Fix It

1. Typically, a printer's unprintable area covers about one-quarter inch around the edge of the page, though some regions may be larger, and some smaller. Check your printer's specifications to determine the dimensions of the unprintable area.
2. If you can't find the specified dimensions, or you want to confirm them, you can get an approximate measure yourself. Start by choosing Start, Programs, Accessories, and then WordPad.
3. From the File menu, choose Page Setup (Figure 1).

Figure 1. Choosing Page Setup from the File menu
Figure 1. Choosing Page Setup from the File menu

4. In the Margins text boxes, type 0 (zero) in each of the four boxes.
5. As you advance from box to box, the zero value may change automatically to a larger value. These values represent the minimum margins that Windows will use for the selected printer. (If you have more than one printer installed on your system, you can choose a different printer by choosing the Printer button in this dialog box.) If the numbers do not change from zero, then the printer does not have an unprintable region, at least as far as Windows is concerned.
6. You can verify that the margins properly define the unprintable area—assuming that your printer is working correctly—by filling in a page with text and then printing it. Choose OK to close the Page Setup window in WordPad, then type, in all capitals, ABCDE repeatedly until you have filled a few lines. Count how many characters are in each line, and write the number down. (It should be the same number for each line.)
7. Copy and paste this block of text repeatedly until you have filled one page with text, and have started another. (Choose File, then Print Preview, to check your progress.)
8. Count the number of lines on page 1 (as shown in Print Preview mode) and write the number down.
9. From the File menu, choose Print. In the Print Range box, choose to start and end with Page 1.
10. Check the printed output. If all the characters are complete, if there are as many in each line in the printed output as on screen, and if there are as many lines on the printed page as on screen, then the margins Windows knows about are large enough to remain clear of the unprintable area. However, some programs may not interpret that information correctly. Measure the margins, write the measurements down, and adjust your settings accordingly in programs that cut off some of your page when printing.
11. Note that you may find that the total of the left and right margins matches the specification the vendor gives, but that one is too wide and the other is too narrow. This can happen if the paper is slightly offset in its paper tray. Alternatively, the printer could be out of adjustment.
12. If any letters or lines appear cut off, or there are fewer in the printed output than on screen, then the text has probably extended into the unprintable area. Here again, you need to measure the margins and adjust your margin settings in your programs to take the unprintable area into account.
13. If the margins are larger than the printer specification claims, there may be something preventing the printer from putting the image on the page. Check the paper path to make sure there isn't something stuck along the edge—such as a label—that's masking a portion of the printable area.
14. If the printer is an ink jet and the paper path is clear, check the print head for proper range of movement. If the printer has a self-test, run it to make sure that the head is moving to the limits of its range on both sides.
15. If you still have not determined the source of the problem, you may want to have the printer professionally serviced.