Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble downloading windows updates

• Please log in to reply

suegy

suegy

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I am getting an error and am unable to download windows and microsoft updates. I get a fatal execution error - (0x7925dc14). I tried the troubleshooting but got nowhere doing that, either. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thank You!

S. Gilson

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, press view files for downloaded programme files, remove controls for windows and microsoft update, also genuine advantage and malicious software removal tool, reboot then go to Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I did run disk cleanup and defrag. As far as those other things you mentioned, I don't know what you're talking about or how to do them. Do you mean view files for downloaded programs while doing disk cleanup/ And what is remove controls for windows and microsoft updates and how do I remove them? The other thing is - what is genuine advantage and you mean I should REMOVE the malicious software tool? I'm sorry, but I'm not a computer expert here.

Thanks in advance.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run disc clean up, click view download programme files, look for the windows update controls

[attachment=3417:attachment]

Click them and press delete, confirm delete, Microsoft Update will replace them when you use it

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I've done what you suggested, but I still cannot get the windows updates. I'm getting the exact same error.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you made any changes to services

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
The only thing I have done is install some new software, but I have uninstalled it because I was getting the exact same error when trying to launch that program.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

Have you ever opened the registry

suegy

suegy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
To my knowledge, I've never done anything with the registry. I can't do that function - XP was installed on my computer when I bought it and I didn't get a cd. Any other suggestions?