Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Are Updates really necessary?

• Please log in to reply

Stryker06

Stryker06

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I've turned off the Windows Updates service. Is that a good idea? is it really critical to have download a new update every 2nd day? I'm starting to think that eventually it'll consume half your hdd.
I got XP Pro with SP1a

cheers,

Advertisements

fflowergirl

fflowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hi Stryker.
I think it is VERY important to keep our Windows XP updated.
I too, would like an expert GEEK to give us the reasons why! :tazz:

I checked Windows update History for August and there were 7.
They look IMPORTANT...here they are:

Windows XP family Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP Saturday, August 13, 2005 Automatic

Windows XP family Security Update for Windows XP Friday, August 12, 2005 Automatic Updates

Windows XP family Security Update for Windows XP Friday, August 12, 2005 Automatic Updates

Windows XP family Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - August 2005 (KB890830) Friday, August 12, 2005 Automatic Updates

Windows XP family Update for Windows XP

Edited by fflowergirl, 30 August 2005 - 07:33 AM.

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I agree with FlowerGirl! You must all ways be updated espsecially with Windows Update and ever XP user MUST have service Pack 2 but before they download that please make sure your system is clean!
RockyIV

Stryker06

Stryker06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Related to Win Updates so I won't create a new topic for it. But where does Windows store the Updates?

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
In your system root folder, most probably "C:\WINDOWS"

mpy

mpy

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

is it really critical to have download a new update every 2nd day?

Although it is not neccissary for windows xp to update to keep running it is highly recommended that you do update atleast once a week because updates contain protection against harmful attacks to your computer.