Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to perform the required steps

• Please log in to reply

diannakretz

diannakretz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings! I read the page to post the HijackThis log. However, at this time the left button of my mouse does not function and the menus for my start up programs do not respond when I use the keyboard functions. I did have Norton AV 2005 installed. It did not detect any problems. However, when I got Panda Platinum Internet Security, it detected a virus and cleaned it but when the PC rebooted, after the initial install and scan, I still had the same problem. Is there anyway anyone can help?

Thanks in advance!
Dianna

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
have a look at what is running in the background. It could be a virus it could be malware. Or it could be a human error while deleting a file that caused a corruption in Windows. try loging in as a differtn user (create a new profile) and see if that problem still there.

diannakretz

diannakretz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Samiko,

thank you for your suggestions. I did not find anything strange running in the background and creating a new user account produced the same result. I also should add that the problem occurs at startup when I have to log in. The mouse pointer will move around, but will not select anything. Is there anything else that you can think of?

Thanks!
Dianna

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Hi Dianna

Sorry for the slow response.
Creating a new username won't always solve a malware/spyware problems. Some of these would get created for all users, they exist on system32 or other common folders.
The best way is to run Anti-spyware programs, please visit our malware forum and one of our people would be able to help you there.

* one thing you could try before you try the malware forum is to change your mouse and see if that makes a difference*

Good luck and let me know of any updates.