Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC very noisy all the time!

• Please log in to reply

KJKlosters

KJKlosters

• Pip
  • 5 posts
:tazz:
We bought our PC a MEDION at ALDI UK last November (2004, so still under warranty!) and the PC always started up very noisily, but then the noise level died down. Since we had a trojan, problems with Norton Utilities 2005 and a lousy PC repair centre (!) the PC is noisy ALL the time (the fan doesn't seem to slow down anymore!).

I browsed other similar posts and their replies and checked with the EVEREST program the temperature of the PC before and during the running of an antivirus program (as recommended to somebody with a noise problem). Here the details:

MEDION PC – Nov 2004

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 550 3400Mhz (17 x 200)
Motherboard MSI MS-7091 (Medion OEM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale i915P
System Memory 512 MB
BIOS Type Award (10/28/04)

Temperature “normally” whilst Antivirus running

Motherboard 45° C 46°C
CPU 71° C 74° / 76° / 82° / 87° / 88°C
GPU 59° C 60°C
GPU Ambient 49° C 50° C
WDC 41° C 43° / 46° / 47° / 48° C

Cooling Fans
CPU 4327 RPM 4441 RPM

What can I do? I suspect a software problem which makes the PC run on "high", is that possible ? Or is it just ambient temperature (beeing summer, albeit generally it feels more like autumn) or dust?? Or a fault with a fan?

Thanks for any help in advance !!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can get a piece of plastic tubing and use it like a stethoscope to find what is making the noise. Any of the posibilities you mention could be true. It isn't going to hurt to dust off the cooling surfaces. Your CPU temps seem a bit high. Fan bearings are a high possibility, especially if it quietens down after warm up..

KJKlosters

KJKlosters

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Tyger
Opened the PC and i'd say the noise comes from the big black plastic fan, which sticks out on the side and sucks in lots of air. It was dusty and I got a barbeque stick to take the fluffs out. Also it seemed wobbly, so i first got it out and found a little brown creamy stuff underneath it and white sticky stuff attached to the bit on the PC (is that the Processor underneath it???). So I thought to better put everything back without further ado. But I did tighten the screws so that the fan is not so wobbly anymore.

What do you think is the verdict, based on this??

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh dear you shouldnt have done that, Right you have removed your HSF by the sounds of it but here is your problem now, you have to clean and reapply thermal paste every time you take it off. Not to worry though you have a quite bad cpu temp problem so you need to do that any with some good thermal material (Arctic silver 5 if you can get it). Your gfx card temps also seem pretty high what kind of card is it.
So it needs a good clean with compressed gas canistor or i use the hoover hose to sook it all up but thats not the way you are supposed to do it.

Give some specs as well it will help determine how bad your problem is some cpus run hotter than others.

KJKlosters

KJKlosters

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi warriorscot
At the end see the data regarding grafic card etc.

I do not really want to fiddle with the hardware of the PC - after all it's still under warranty!!!
I just need to know if it is really a hardware problem and be able to describe it properly to the people at MEDION in order for them to accept the claim and do something about it.
I was just wondering if it might be a software issue (a program making overheat the fan or something) in order to sort that out before approaching Medion and having my harddisk formatted or something.

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6610 XL (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6610 XL
Monitor Medion MD30217PG [17" LCD] (501005273)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801FB ICH6 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-1]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2652
IDE Controller Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Disk Drive Generic CF Card CF USB Device
Disk Drive Generic MS/SD Combo MS USB Device
Disk Drive Generic SM/xD Combo SM USB Device
Disk Drive WDC WD2500JD-00HBB0 (232 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive IDE DVD-ROM 16X (16x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD RW DVR-108 (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:16x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:32x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Network:
Network Adapter Bluetooth PAN Network Adapter
Network Adapter RT2500 USB Wireless LAN Card (192.168.2.2)
Network Adapter VIA VT6105 Rhine III Fast Ethernet Adapter
Modem Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
Modem Bluetooth DUN Modem
Modem Bluetooth Fax Modem
Modem Bluetooth LAP Modem
Modem Bluetooth LAP Modem #2

Thank for any help!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You definately have a hardware problem the fans are speeding up in order to cool the hardware that is overheating. The fans are temperature controlled on pcs these days so they just respond to the hardwares temps. The hardware is hot because it is working hard (under load) and it is at that point it generates the most heat, running a game or a benchmark like prime 95 is the best way to see the temps under full load, it may even vut out to protect itself from the heat.

So send it back to medion and just tell them that it is too noisy and you have a temperature problem they will test it out find out there is and then fix it for you hopefully.