Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

same but not the same?

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Had a couple of blue screens with fatal error, then noticed computer wasnt shutting down properly. When starting would go to 'safe to shut your computer down'. Someone said remove AVG so did so and now think may have removed more then should have. Only way can get computer up is to go Safe Mode then type in scanreg/restore using an earlier date, then put in back up disc. I am lost, this is all way beyond me. Dont have the Windows 98 disc, long gone. Is there anyway I can get this system working properly again??

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like some of your BIOS settings have changed. If this is an older machine your CMOS batter may have failed. It's shiny stainless steel, about the size of a nickel, easy to replace, make sure you put the new one in with the same polarity. Then go into setup, usually by pressing the del key during boot and set it to the default settings. Cost about three bucks at Radio Shack or your friendly computer store. There are several types so write the number down. If that doesn't fix everything please report back.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Thank you will look for this mysterious part. I can get in by using the c prompt and typing scanreg/restore after putting in my backup disc and using another prior date. Then everything works like normal. If it is the case of deleting part of the registry when I got rid of avg why cant it just go back to a prior date and stay there?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Thank you will look for this mysterious part.  I can get in by using the c prompt and typing scanreg/restore after putting in my backup disc and using another prior date.  Then everything works like normal.  If it is the case of deleting part of the registry when I got rid of avg why cant it just go back to a prior date and stay there?

View Post

That's the part with the battery. It remembers your manual BIOS settings, and it also operates the clock and remembers the time. Since laptops spend a lot of time in hot cars their batteries, a shiny part the size of a nickel, don't last as long.

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Well confused but happier. Reinstalled AVG and mouse froze same as before. Uninstalled AVG and everything seems almost normal. Whats up with that? My first start of problems was the fatal error and blue screen then mouse freezing, that was why I orginally uninstalled AVG. Have done a lot of work and research on here since so hopefully everything will be fine now. If not I will be back............thanks for responding and your help.