Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connecting two pcs in a wireless network

• Please log in to reply

ministry

ministry

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hey!
This is probably a easy problem for u guys. I got a desktop and a laptop, both running xp and a access point which both are connected to via wireless 802.11g things for internet. And i would like to transfer files between the two. What are the easiest way to do this?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
assuming you can ping each other, yo umay just need to enable windows file sharing. This step by step may help,

How to enable Windows sharing. One of the reasons to create a workgroup or domain network is for all ... Sharing Printers and Files over a private network ...
http://www.howtonetw...blesharing0.htm

ministry

ministry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah tanx very helpful guide. It gave me the answers but then i got a new problemo. I found that the wireless connection provided quite a slow file transfer. a file around 700 megs takes 15/20 min. so then i wonder can i use a crossover cable and still be connected to the internet via the accesspoint. The accesspoint assigns the ips 192.168.1.34 and 192.168.1.36. Tried to assign some other addys for the crossover conn but cant ping and lost internet... whats the solution???

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

yeah tanx very helpful guide. It gave me the answers but then i got a new problemo. I found that the wireless connection provided quite a slow file transfer. a file around 700 megs takes 15/20 min. so then i wonder can i use a crossover cable and still be connected to the internet via the accesspoint. The accesspoint assigns the ips 192.168.1.34 and 192.168.1.36. Tried to assign some other addys for the crossover conn but cant ping and lost internet... whats the solution???

View Post

The slowness may be due to firewalls and virus scanners. Unhook the modem cable and disable them and see what happens.