Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safemode/msconfig/XP/Aurora Problems

• Please log in to reply

ChrisMack2

ChrisMack2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In preparation for removing the Aurora Adware, I followed the instructions posted on another help forum...the instructions stated that I needed to be in SafeMode w/ networking to start the removal of this pesky program. In order to achieve this, the poster suggested typing in "msconfig" from the XP start--->run menus and modifying the boot.ini by selecting the networking radio button there and then rebooting. Much to my dismay, I now have a much bigger problem.

The first thing that happens is that upon start up I always get a screen saying that Windows was shut down improperly and it gives me a number of options...I believe 3 "safemode" options (safemode, safemode w/ networking, and safemode with command prompt)...if I select any of these options, my computer starts listing all of these different driver files and then it stops suddenly, pauses for about 2 seconds, there is a brief blue screen with white writing that is so brief that I can't read it (I tried taking a picture with my digital camera and from what I can make out, it's saying that there is either a hardware or software problem but that windows was shut down before any damage could be done). On the same screen where the samemode options are are some other options including one to start Windows normally or to start using the last settings that worked...selecting either of these options ultimately ends with a flash of the blue screen before the computer ultimately tries to restart again...this loop goes on and on until the computer is unplugged. My first attempt to remedy this problem was to unplug the computer for 5 minutes and to fire it up again....didn't help. A friend told me to remove my memory chips and to reboot both with them in place and with them removed. Neither thing helped. My Windows XP Home Edition came pre-installed and less than a year ago I moved from Houston, TX to Southern California so I have NO IDEA where my XP back-up or start up disk is. So now my question is this...if I go out and buy a copy of XP and start-up using the CD will I still have access to my hard drive and all of the information on it? Please tell me that my information on my hard drive isn't lost...I would have rather just dealt with the adware than this...

:tazz: HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Thanks!

ChrisMack2

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Malware Team will deal with this

Please go here:

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

ChrisMack2

ChrisMack2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I can't get past the XP start-up screen to even generate any logs...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
As long as that hard drive is okay, you can still access the files with the help of another computer.

Johanna