Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Warranty Repairs

• Please log in to reply

SlapHead

SlapHead

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have recently had a problem with my system crashing, and showing an error of missing or corrupt C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file. The manufaturer determined this to be an error with the motherboard or memory, and has replaced this with am updated motherboard.

I originally had 512MB DDR-266 RAM, which I then updated with another 512MB of similar spec RAM approximately six months before the fault. This additional RAM was bought from the manufacturer.

The new motherboard supports 333-DDR memory and the manufacturer provided a replacement for the original RAM (512MB DDR-333) but said that the additional RAM was not covered by warranty. I was then left with a 512MB memory module that couldn't be used.

I then reset the BIOS to operate the bus at 266MHz and plugged in the additional RAM module and all appears fine. The question is:

Am I better off having 512MB of memory operating at 333MHz or 1GB memory operating at 266MHz?

Part of the reason for wanting to install the memory was to check if it was the additional memory that was faulty in which case the manufacturer should be responsible for changing it?

Any clues as to the best approach?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You'll get better system performance using 512MB of 333mhz RAM. The only exceptions would be video editing, and a few of the newer games with very large texture maps.

You could still install the additional memory, run it at 266mhz and test with http://www.memtest86.com to see if it's defective.