Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Underclockin

• Please log in to reply

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
i am under clockin my cpu to 1.5 GHz (need a new HSF i didnt like the temp readings i was getting it would go to 65 C sometimes) does this hurt my cpu tho?
Oh yea and i am underclocking my video card.

Lion

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Not a bit, any thing that keeps the temp down will make it last longer. Sometimes on laptops they will use a 2.4 ghz and underclock it to 600mhz to cut down on battery usage.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
speakin of hsf i bought a cheapo hopin it would help (didnt even waste my time with stock) but i still dont like the temps i am getting 48C to like 60C load and i am using AS5 for thermal paste any suggestions on a hsf for a lga775

Lion

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
60 degrees on a load is acceptable its not great but its perfrectly fine any higher then yeah its a problem but its fine, it wont hurt your cpu till it hits 70-75 it will cut itslef out in that case. You should have used the stock one they are actually quite good HSFs as they are designed and proved to keep the cpu in normal operating temperatures as long as they are given appropriate air flow(better than a cheapo one, HSF arent expensive though).
so get something like a thermalright(£20) and stick another fan(£5) in the case and you will be fine and its not breaking the bank. There isnt any need to underclock your pc at the moment the temps arent dangerous if they were the pc would shut down.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Thanx warriorscot this masscool peice o crap is pissin me off cuz this pins that are suppose to hold it in place come lose very easily and last night i accidently bumped it loose a little so now i am trying to get it back to the way it was i had put the stock in there at one time it was easier to get on but the temps were a little higher i am lookin into gettin another HSF but this masscool one has to last me cuz i took one the the pin holder downer thingies off of my stock and put it on the masscool cuz i broke it off so yea i can only use the masscool one i will get it it will just take a lil while and some sore fingers. this is the one i am lookin at getting tho http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835183111

Good or no?

Lion

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats pretty expensive and i have never heard of it, Akasa, thermalright, arctic and gigabyte coolers are what you are looking for they make the best especially thermalright if it will fit an xp-120 is the best but xp-90s are great again if they fit.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
alright i got the masscool back on there and new with it underclocked the temps are back to 41C idle and i dunno what under full load but it was idleing 45C i ono this is why i dont like this one cuz sooner or later i will knock it and it will come loose.

Lion

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well those temps are ok but i would deifinatley get another HSF when you can.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
:tazz: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835109122 :)