Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP doesn't recognise SATA drive

• Please log in to reply

LadyVidash

LadyVidash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have being running Windows XP on a Seagate SATA drive for the past 8 months without any problem but some few weeks ago I started having problem loading Win XP on the same drive. Anytime that I will turn the PC on I get a warning message that the boot device has changed so I should Press F1 to continue. When I do, my BIOS settings is displayed and indicate that there is no Master or Secondary Drive installed. What is surprising is that if turn the PC off, open the case and pull the SATA cable off the motherboard and then plug it back, turn the PC on Win XP will load with out any problem or warning. Initially I thought that my system has been infected by a virus but I have scanned the Hard Drive for possible virus infection many times but there is always a negative result. This SATA cable pull out and plug in is annoying me . Can someone please tell me what is causing this annoyance ?.

Edited by LadyVidash, 30 August 2005 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
You might need a new cable.

Did you get it with the hard drive?

LadyVidash

LadyVidash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The SATA cable that I am using came with an Albatron PX865PE motherboard that I have in the PC. The Hard drive did not come with a SATA cable.

Edited by LadyVidash, 30 August 2005 - 10:35 PM.