Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to tell if the CPU is on the brink?

• Please log in to reply

Jezza

Jezza

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
In the last week, my computer has started to use full CPU when opening/changing between programs, saving/editing/closing programs and files.

It is alright after the program is opened for a bit, but will spike up horribly again if you try alt-tab or switch between programs. Also if it is performing an intensive operation, it spikes.

An example is Windows media Player/Winamp. They can no longer play a movie correctly. It slows up and jerks the picture/sound and then gets back to normal, before doing it again. I can watch the movie, but it isnt smothe at all.

The first time in noticed it was when I was playing music in winamp, and opened Word to work. The computer had been fine doing this for as long as i've had it, but this time, and ever since then, it slows the music down so that it's not understandable, before it settles, and the music starts playing at full speed again.

The CPU is an AMD Athlon 1.2 ghz, I have 512 mb or RAM and a 200gb IDE Seagate hdd. I have no virus/spyware that nod32, Ad=aware, Spybot, CWDShredder can pick up. Would this be hardware problem? Could it mean the CPU is going to burn out soon. I've had this rig for 4-5 years now, so its getting old.

Any input would be appreciated. I'd also like some info on ways to tell if the CPU is going, or what other peripheals it could be.

Thanks

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I doubt that the CPU is about to give out. There are two more likely causes of this:

1. There are too many programs running in the background that need the CPU. Even good programs can cause problems if you have too many of them running at once.

2. Your CPU is overheating.

3. Your computer is infected (there is no such thing as a perfect program. Things can still get around all your protection.)

Press ctrl+alt+delete and post back with how many processes are running in the background. Also, you mentioned that you have excellent spyware protection, what about anti-virus?

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

I have 34 processors running. I've taken every step in the malware part this website says to do, although I've heard nothing back about my hijackthis log.

For spyware protection I use ad-aware, spybot search & destroy, and CWShredder. The antivirus I use is Nod32. I run diskeeper as my defrager.

Ive followed all steps it says in the malware section, and it's all come up perfectly clean (aside from the hijackthis log, which is currently posted and I'm awaiting reply).

When the computer is in idle, it uses ~5% of the cpu. When I try to load anything, anything at all, it jumps up to 100%, and if their is anything else running, it slows that down horribly. This only happened around 1 week ago.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
I looked at your Hijack this log and I do see an infection. Unfortunately, since I am not a graduate, I cannot help you. Since you replied to your own topic, the experts have missed it. I will try to guide an expert to your post. Hang tight, we'll get you cleaned! :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may also want to check your ram with http://www.memtest86.com/

Jezza

Jezza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts