Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost default file type actions

• Please log in to reply

exitfromreality

exitfromreality

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, here is an annoying and obscure one for you. I was going through the file types options in folder options in order to change the icons for a few things for fun, The only two that I changed at the time were the generic "(NONE) Drive" and "(NONE) File Folder" that appear at the top of the list. To do so I simply clicked on them on the list, clicked advanced, clicked change icon, selected a new one and hit ok, and then ok again on the advanced window. Guess what happend, Windows decided to be stupid and has decided that when i double click on a drive or any folder it should pop up the windows search box instad of just opening it like normal. I went back in to try to fix this. I will note that up until now I DID NOT touch the whole actions category of the advanced file types properties. So I managed to make a new defult action for both that I named "open" and told it to use explorer.exe to perform it. YAY, now at least drives in My Computer and folders open, the catch is that they open in a NEW explorer window, instead of in the same window as before, this is generally annoying and makes me lose sleep at night. There is even a "browse in same window" box that can be checked in this same advanced properties window, but it is forever grayed out.

This happened before and after asking all ym friends and searching all over the internet I finally reinstalled windows (it needed it anyways) in order to fix the problem. Im sure alll I need to know is what program to use and write my own correct "open" action, although it would be nice to know how to just get window to revert back to its default setting as it changed on its own anyways in order to make me further appreaciate things completely unrelated to computers, like kittens.

any help would be great
-Colin

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Download and open the script file from the following link:
http://www.dougknox....folder_open.htm

exitfromreality

exitfromreality