Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Built new computer, running TOO SLOW

• Please log in to reply

ultrafine

ultrafine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey geeks to go!

This is my first post and a desperate one!

I just built my friend a new PC:

ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
AMD 3200+ 64-bit Processor
Corsair TWINX 1024 (2x512) Dual Channel DDR 400 RAM
Ultra brand X-Connect 500w Power Supply
WD 200GB SATA Hard Drive
Plextor 16X DVD RW (SATA)
ASUS 6600 PCI-e Graphics Card
Lian Li P-65 Aluminum Case

I have windows XP Pro installed and updated. My problem is that windows takes an awful long time to boot up (20-40 seconds, sometimes longer) compared to my other system with very similar specs. Also, after booting, the performance seems to "hiccup". Programs seem to linger before they open, and installations seem to install in pulses. My CPU usage jumps dramatically and stays around the high 90% range when installing or downloading files. I tried to run a demo for the 6600 gfx card and it ran quite choppy and looked too dark. I only have Microsoft services running, nothing else. My friend is off to college in just a few days so I am in a crunch to get it running smoothly before he goes. Any help with this problem is seriously appreciated!

...ALSO I forgot to add that over the VERY QUIET and AMAZINGLY AWESOME Lian Li case fans I can hear the hard drive making an annoying ringing noise every few seconds (at least I think its the hard drive).

Thanks for your help in advance!
-Wes

My specs:

ASUS A8N-Deluxe Motherboard
AMD 3200+ 64-bit Processor
1 GB Corsair TWINX DC DDR 400 Ram
ASUS 7800 GT Graphics Card <Amazing!>
200GB Western Digital SATA HDD
Plextor 16X DVD-RW IDE
500W Power Supply

Edited by ultrafine, 31 August 2005 - 02:42 AM.

Advertisements